screen saver / wifi on iMac

Reaction score
HI, ...I'm new to iMac and new to mac forums. I am having trouble with some settings (I guess). First, my screensaver never comes on. When my computer goes to sleep it goes black. I've played around with the settings and nothing seems to work. Secondly, every time my computer goes to sleep it disconnects from wifi and I have to log back on. Can someone help me ?

Thanks, ....Adam

oh,...one other thing. I downloaded Adobe Flash 11 and it seems to work beautifully. I always thought flash was a no-no and could not be run on Mac. Did I do something dumb ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
HI, ...I'm new to iMac and new to mac forums. I am having trouble with some settings (I guess). First, my screensaver never comes on. When my computer goes to sleep it goes black.

Check your 'Energy Saver' settings in System Preferences. It would appear as though your computer is set to go to sleep before the threshold for the screen saver has passed. For example, if it's set to sleep at 5 minutes of inactivity and your screen saver is set for 7 minutes, you'll never see the screen saver.

If you like screen savers (which are kind of obsolete in the day and age of LCD monitors), you're better off disabling automatic sleep altogether.

I've played around with the settings and nothing seems to work. Secondly, every time my computer goes to sleep it disconnects from wifi and I have to log back on. Can someone help me ?

Yeah, it'll do that. When your computer sleeps, it goes into an ultra-low power mode and uses just enough power to keep the content of its memory (RAM) chips alive.

Thanks, ....Adam

oh,...one other thing. I downloaded Adobe Flash 11 and it seems to work beautifully. I always thought flash was a no-no and could not be run on Mac. Did I do something dumb ?

That's a misnomer attributed to Apple's stance with the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad. The Mac runs Flash just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.