• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.dmg files burnt with a windows/linux - help for the stupid?

W

whyatt

A couple of questions. I have an iBook, and a Desktop running Linux.

1) Is a hard drive image of a DVD called an .iso like the image for CDs?

2) I wish to make a little DVD with iDVD and iMovie of little movie clips of my friends on holiday. I have just bought my 12" iBook (love it) so it's the latest verison and lets you create a .dmg file of the dvd on your hard drive.

my iBook doesn't have a DVD writer and I would rather buy one for my desktop than an external one for my iBook as they are a lot cheaper.

If i get a dvd writer for my desktop, can i burn DVDs using the .dmg format or would I have to convert them to .iso or .cdr formats? would they work? (I know that with Disk Utility you can convert .dmg's to .cdrs. Are they the same as .iso's?

Sorry for the ramble. I will be using K3B on linux or nero if I really have too on windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.