How to create a boot camp.app for a Windows program?

Reaction score
Existing Setup: Snow Leopard, Windows 7, VMware Fusion 4, Boot Camp 3.0.4

I have a software program on Windows that I would like to open directly from the Mac Dock via Boot Camp, but this program is not currently listed in the following applicable folder: library > application support > virtual machines > boot camp > boot camp.vmwarevm > applications.

So the question is: how do I add this Windows program to the Boot Camp applications folder?

Thanks for any tips.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What program are you trying to run? Most programs will not need to be added to the Application Support folder.

Also, are you actually attempting to run the program using Boot Camp or Fusion? If you are running BootCamp it would mean that you have booted directly into Windows and there will be no OS X Dock showing.

Reaction score
It appears that the OP created a virtual machine from a Boot Camp installation of Windows. When running the virtual machine, you are still booted into OSX. Launch the virtual machine in a window first and then see if the program shows up in Windows. You can't drag a Windows executable to the dock, I don't believe, but you can put the icon on the desktop and launch it from there if memory serves.

Try that and report back. I also note that some users have reported issues with virtual machines created from a boot camp installation rather, which is something you might be running into.

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
I've just uninstalled and reinstalled VMware Fusion 4 to resolve some other technical problems I was having, and that's fine now.

But since the reinstallation, I've noticed that the pathway I mentioned above <library > application support > virtual machines > boot camp > boot camp.vmwarevm > applications> is no longer available or present, at least not in this exact pathway.

I know that earlier, when I had access to these Boot Camp files, I could actually drag Windows program icons from this folder and actually place them on the Mac OSX Dock. Clicking on these Windows programs from the Mac OSX Dock would first open virtual Windows via VMF4, and then proceed to open the Windows program after that.

There are two Windows-only software programs that I would like to configure in this way. Namely, Adobe Audition and VueMinder Calendar Pro. I use these two Windows programs frequently, and they are a main reason why I use virtual Windows in general.

Re: "...are you actually attempting to run the program using Boot Camp or Fusion?"
I run these two Windows programs via VMware Fusion 4. Sometimes I access Windows directly through Boot Camp, but usually I just use VMF4 as I enjoy the convenience of having access to both operating systems at the same time.

This direct link feature is an option that was officially made available in VMF4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.