iMac onboard CD/DVD issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: Model Identifier: Mac Mini Processor Name: Intel Core i5 Processor Speed:2.6
I loaded a DVD sometime back and it just locked in without mounting. Drutil eject cleared the disk from the drive. Later, compressed air was used and the disk would spin then silence then spin and silence a 1/2 dozen times or so. The drive would eventually time out and eject the disk on it's own. It was a small improvement. I next got a Memorex optidisc with 6 little brushes for an attempted lens cleaning but no change. My hunch is it's a lens/read issue. Does anybody know of anything else to try? The drive never had much use and has always been in a clean area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
iMacs, like MacBooks, use slot loading optical drives and they seem to have a very high failure rate alas. You have done the trouble shooting tricks. What does Apple System profiler (About this Mac) have to say?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: Model Identifier: Mac Mini Processor Name: Intel Core i5 Processor Speed:2.6
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K05. I've always had good luck with Pioneer products but still never met a laser drive that might eventually fail some way or another. My mission is to instal w7 via bootcamp but understand that is not do-able due to some kind of OS driver issue installing from external USB drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you print Bootcamp guidelines, sure it will tell you Windows must be installed from an internal optical drive. Like Pioneer personally, but slot loaders be slot loaders drat!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.