Disk Erase Failed Input Output Error

Reaction score
I just replaced the hard drive on my old MacBook that my son gave me. It normally runs very well but the hard drive I installed several years ago needed replacing. All went well. Now comes time to install the software. I'm installing disk one and the message is: Disk Erase Failed Input Output Error. I have examined and followed the threads about this issue but to no avail. It seems that the old threads have this issue well pegged but my machine is not responding as it should. No injury has occurred to the machine. For several months it has been driving a 23 inch monitor and playing my tunes for me along with an occasional back up. No heavy lifting. I have used disk utility obviously and I tried to both erase and partition. I highlighted the drive that I wish to erase--it's the new one with nothing on it. Ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Changing hard drives in a MacBook can be pretty hard on the cables which get brittle with heat and age. Check the cable carefully.

OP
Y
Reaction score
cables

I read you loud and clear on the disks!!!! Great reminder.

As I sit here looking into the cavity left by the battery I lifted out, there is a shiny metal three sided bracket that is attached with 3 screws. Once you pull it out, I have access to the plastic tug piece that pulls the hard drive out of its berth. At no time have I seen a cable. Can you offer more direction on their whereabouts?

And a hearty thank you.

I'm determined to keep this machine.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Data transfer

You won't believe what Apple's done with its Time Machine. Pure genius. I was running Lion on the machine, constantly backing up into a little 1 T external drive (remember when 1T was really something? It's about as big as a pack of cigarettes and it's powered off the USB cable). Once I set up this new internal drive, I install the software (my current spot), then add Leopard, and then download Lion. When that's done, so the Geniuses at the Apple Store say, I plug in my 1T external drive, tap Time Machine, and when it's done, virtually every item will have transferred back over to the machine, including all my Microsoft software which I already own. Wow.

Regarding the cable, I now see why a cable could be important. Since all my stuff is on the external drive already, I do not require a data transfer cable. Nice catch however. I couldn't figure out what you were addressing until I saw the transfer cable picture.

Sincerest thanks for your attentive response.

Any other ideas?

OP
Y
Reaction score
Seagate Momentus XT 750GB internal HD

I had a Seagate Momentus 750GB internal HD in my Macbook for several years. It worked fine. Then it died, probably because I was not turning the machine all they off when I traveled. So I replaced it with the same manufacture, same specs, except this time it is an XT, whatever that means. As this thread indicates, the first XT failed to format so that I could install the OS. We tried every stunt that was visible on the Mac Form threads. The new drive refused to erase and it refused to format. Because I was using Time Machine on the old drive, it is completely backed up in all respects. Therefore I need not worry about transfering data. Now for the real kicker. I suspected that the new XT was somehow defective. So I had them overnight a brand new SECOND XT. It's doing the same thing, refusing to format.

Question 1: does anyone know how I can format this drive for a Mac? Disk utilities does not help at all.

Question 2: can anyone recommend a good internal HD for a MacBook that will either come formatted or allow me to use my installation disks?

OP
Y
Reaction score
I fixed it!!!!!!

On a lark, I plugged in the Time Machine, which happens to be a Seagate external HD which has 1tb. It plugs in using a USB and it's about the size of a pack of cigarillos. Like magic, the Macbook slowly came to life and gave me a couple of choices. The first thing I did was open Disk Utilities and partition the HD so it has one whopping partition. It worked!! Then I selected reinstall the backup, which transfers everything over to the Macbook from the Time Machine. It has several hours to go but it looks like it will work just fine. Time Machine saved my bacon!!! Don't leave home without it having backed you up!

Hurray for Macs

Yerpaltommy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.