Word close button greyed out. Help please.

Reaction score
The red close button on my word for mac is greyed out and I can't close the application. It doesn't think it's erroring so it's not offering me a force quit option, I have to manually do it. It just kinda sits there. The yellow and green buttons are lit up. Any thoughts?

I should mention this started happening a few days ago when I tried copying and pasting an online article into the program. I hard restarted the computer and since then it started greying out the close button seemingly randomly on documents... which is a dangerous way to work on important documents. I should mention this is the 2004 version. Any help would be appreciated (I'd rather not spend money on a new version and no, I'm not switching to Pages).

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please read through the following thread and follow the link for the Apple download which will fix the problem with Word 2004. LINK

C

chas_m

Also, the red "close" button was never a way to quit the application in the first place. Just choose quit (or close) from the file menu, or command-q and command-w respectively.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.