Upgrading PowerMac G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
As some of you may have read I was going to get a PowerMac G4 and turn it into a PVR, well I am no longer doing that because I could get a TIVO with a DVD burner for half the price.

So anyway I want to get an older G4 PowerMac so that I can upgrade the processor,RAM,hard drive,video card, add USB2.0, add SuperDrive,etc.

I just want to do this as a little project so that I have something to do with my time, plus I have never done anything other than upgrading RAM in a Mac and I would like to try and do some things.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what PowerMac G4 would be the "easiest" to upgrade and where I could get the parts to be able to do this. I look around the 'net and found some places that sell the parts but was confused when they said about what model I would be upgrading.

I would be taking this up to at least a 1GHZ processor and 1GB RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
the mirrored door g4 is the way to go! it is the fastest and last g4. It supports DDR ram also, and can run tiger easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Moving to appropriate forum...

OP
dmachine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the most I should pay for a G4 MDD? I have found several on Ebay and they are around US $200 right now and I think that they will go for around $800 or more.

OP
dmachine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most of the MDD G4's I have found on eBay are already are decent computers, they have dual 1ghz and some have dual 800mhz. I cant seem to find any MDD's that are lower than that. Does anyone know off any place that I could get a lower end MDD G4?

OP
dmachine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just bought a G4 MDD Dual 867.1GB RAM,80 & 60 GB HD,combo drive, radeon 9000 64MB AGP. I couldnt pass up the deal, it was US $550, I have seen similar ones go for a lot more on ebay. I think that the only thing that I will upgrade on it will be the combo drive to a superdrive. Would upgrading the dual 867 to a 1GHZ or above really be worth the money, all I will be doing on it is light photoshop elements work,itunes,iphoto,web,email,idvd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
dmachine said:
I just bought a G4 MDD Dual 867.1GB RAM,80 & 60 GB HD,combo drive, radeon 9000 64MB AGP. I couldnt pass up the deal, it was US $550, I have seen similar ones go for a lot more on ebay. I think that the only thing that I will upgrade on it will be the combo drive to a superdrive. Would upgrading the dual 867 to a 1GHZ or above really be worth the money, all I will be doing on it is light photoshop elements work,itunes,iphoto,web,email,idvd.

I wish I'd seen this thread sooner. I would have recomended the Digital Audio G4s. You can get them used retail for about $275 and occasionally less than $100 on ebay (for the 466 mhz models). They have a 133 MHz bus and 4 (count them 4) PCI slots. they also support powered ADC displays and dual processsor upgrades.

It does sound like you got a good deal on your MDD though; congratulations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.