Fresh install of Lion

Reaction score
Hey guys, im very confused! Yesterday i did a fresh install of lion from the recovery partition that it creates when you upgrade from SL. The reason i did a fresh install is because after using lion for a few months my mac got progressively slower and unresponsive. Anyway back to my question! so i did the fresh install, it boots into lion and everything is the same?! my desktop is still the same my account hasn't been deleted its all exactly how i left it! but to be fair it runs allot faster! so what happened guys? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hey guys, im very confused! Yesterday i did a fresh install of lion from the recovery partition that it creates when you upgrade from SL. The reason i did a fresh install is because after using lion for a few months my mac got progressively slower and unresponsive. Anyway back to my question! so i did the fresh install, it boots into lion and everything is the same?! my desktop is still the same my account hasn't been deleted its all exactly how i left it! but to be fair it runs allot faster! so what happened guys? :(

I and a number of other regulars have decided to do a clean install of Lion and found that it does indeed seem to clear out a few quirks. I manually migrated my user accounts over to minimize what the Migration Assistant would have done. In your case… you didn't do a clean install. Not if your user accounts are still there and you didn't migrate them back over from a backup.

So why is it faster? *shrug* Could be any number of things. Problems with the cache that could have been solved without a reinstall perhaps. No telling.

OP
S
Reaction score
How on earth do i do a fresh install then? :s i clicked 'Reinstall lion' it took about an hour to download the OS and about 20 mins to install it. Restarted and booted like a new computer again but then BAM my login appears and my desktop and all my files remain! My spotlight re-indexed aswell but that bugged out and i had to use a terminal command to get it to re-index (again) today. And now it finds files faster than i can type! (not that thats a bad thing :p)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A fresh install requires the erasing of your Lion partition using the recovery partition Disk Utility. Then, downloading and reinstalling Lion. Obviously, you want to make sure you have a Time Machine backup before doing so.

OP
S
Reaction score
I see, so basically what i did was reinstall the core OS but kept everything that resides on-top of the OS (if you understand what i mean)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yep. You did what's called an "Archive and reinstall" which preserves all data, applications, and account information. It then overwrites and replaces system files and kexts. Ever since the release of Snow Leopard, that has been the default reinstall unless you choose to erase the drive first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.