iMac Hard Drive Replacement

Reaction score
Hi,

Im looking to upgrade my old, late 2006-iMac. It has a SATA 1.5 port, currently only a 160GB HD. Looking to upgrade to 500GB.

I'm thinking about buying one of the Westen Digital caviar HD, but I need to know if a SATA III HD will work with my older iMac? I know I will get reduced speeds, but the HD are cheaper than SATA I's

If not will SATA II HD's work?

Thanks
Seb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
They are interchangeable. You just won't get 6.0 speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
They may Jazper but will be a waste of money. Faster SATA is dearer and you will get no benefit from SATA II or III. Most SATA II are backwards compatible, but have seen a couple that required 'throttling' using jumper blocks to force them to slow down.

OP
J
Reaction score
They may Jazper but will be a waste of money. Faster SATA is dearer and you will get no benefit from SATA II or III. Most SATA II are backwards compatible, but have seen a couple that required 'throttling' using jumper blocks to force them to slow down.

I understand I will get SATA speed, but SATA III HD's are cheaper than the SATA HD's so this will work 100% with my motherboard/computer? :)

Or will SATA II only work?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.