Help!

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for those of you that can help me.

I was thinking about upgrading to Lion. Just to make sure i don't loose everything i want to back it up on an external drive that I would share with an Imac.

HOW DO I MAKE SURE THAT I DON'T OVERWRITE EVERYTHING ALREADY ON THE DRIVE?

I know it is possible to share more than one computer on a drive but how do I make a partition so that it doesn't overwrite the Imac files?

Just incase you need to know my laptop is a macbook pro.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You have a few options for creating a backup of your existing system. You can use something like SuperDuper! to create a full backup of your existing system to do a recovery should something go bad. The second option is to use Time Machine with your external drive to backup your existing system, the last option is to manually backup only those things you care about and not a full backup.

Upgrading is a fairly easy upgrade, I did that on my iMac from Snow Leopard and everything went well. All of my applications/documents/files were just where I left them. A few of the applications (that were universal or non-Lion compliant) stopped to work but an update of those fixed them..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.