Broken screen need to change the display output

Reaction score
My macbook pro screen is on the fritz. I successfully managed to hook it up to my television but as I was trying to change the display so that it wouldn't look stretched out, I must have chosen a larger input than my small LCD tv can handle because now it wont show my computer screen.

I tried to press 1 to revert it back to the original setting but it didnt work.

I can hook it up to a friend's much larger tv and see and work everything just fine but when I switch back to my own tv it reverts to the larger input and I am looking at a black screen again, with my television telling me that it cant support the current input.

Is there a key command to revert it to the original input, that worked on the tv before? Or do I have to go to my friend's large tv and change something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
With output are you using ?
Digital output ?
In that case stop the overscan .
VGA change the resolution .
For both see Preference>Displays .

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You should be able to start it in Safe Boot mode and then change the resolution to your liking. Turn the machine off, turn it back on and press and hold the Shift key until the machine boots and you get a display.

OP
T
Reaction score
You should be able to start it in Safe Boot mode and then change the resolution to your liking. Turn the machine off, turn it back on and press and hold the Shift key until the machine boots and you get a display.

THANK YOU!!! Yatta! ;) many hugs!

I can delay the purchase of a new laptop for a little longer!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.