• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple said to hold 'iPad 3' event first week in March

Reaction score
Apple said to hold 'iPad 3' event first week in March

Apple will reportedly hold a media event the first week in March in San Francisco to unveil its third-generation iPad, which is expected to go on sale soon after it is unveiled.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11.6,Macbook 13,ipad 1,ipod Classic,iphone 4S
Although still owning an ipad 1,which is great for my portable needs,by the way,I will be interested to see what Apple CEO Tim Cook has to say about the new device.How much progression will it have from v.1 and v.2 will be important to a lot of "potential future upgraders" For me,one interesting feature I would like to see would be wireless battery charging.Probably been "done" in "the lab",but a public version would be amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I'll be getting a 3 for the wife as soon as it's released. We do not currently have a tablet of any sort, but I've been eye'ing a kindle sine I bought one for my parents for Xmas and tried it out for a couple days. I'm excited to see what Apple has in store.

Reaction score
More than likely we'll see a faster processor, maybe a better screen, better cameras...

For what it's worth, I wouldn't mind going from iPad to iPad 3...we'll just have to see what awaits!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't really know what I want on the iPad 3 with the exception of the obvious: retina display, longer battery, ram, and processor. I don't care about wirelessly charging something, at least for a "true" wireless charging device. The retina screen alone would be enough for me to want it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I don't really know what I want on the iPad 3 with the exception of the obvious: retina display, longer battery, ram, and processor. I don't care about wirelessly charging something, at least for a "true" wireless charging device. The retina screen alone would be enough for me to want it.

Agreed,it's perhaps best if they leave wireless charging in the lab as it absolutely kills battery health.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet
Well I am not sure what I think the Ipad 3 can offer me that I can get currently out of my Ipad 1. Although longer battery life would be nice, but the Ipad1 battery life so far is awesome. I guess will have to wait to the official launch to see if I really need to upgrade to the Ipad 3. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac bookpro, Ipad 2, Iphone 4
So far i can't se what i need more in my iPad 2, but that was the same when i got it i haven't got much idea what i would use it for, just wanted one. Now i don't use my Mac book anymore, when I'm out of the office, i only bring the iPad and now we have two of them.
Well the possibility to use a mouse running Windows in Citrix, we are forced to run windows in a citrix app, thats not ideal not having a mouse, just don't think thats the new main feature on the new iPad 3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Here's a new update:
iPad 3 Announcement on March 7th with Quad Core and 4G LTE

4 cores? How do you use 4 cores on a device that can't truly multitask? I wonder if we will be able to use multiple cores for one app, or as the app would need them...say, video editing on iMovie? That would be very cool!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Hmmm... I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for deals on used iPad2's and price drops on refurbished iPad2's.

OK, now for the inevitable question...

Should I buy an iPad3, or should I wait for the iPad4? I heard they are upgrading the iPad3 soon, so maybe I should wait. ;)

Reaction score
I've been waiting for this announcement. I was quite honestly disappointed with the iPad 2 release; not b/c Apple did anything wrong, but simply b/c I was hoping for that retina screen. Assuming there is an HD display and at least a bit of an increase in processing power w/o sacrificing battery life, then I'm all in!
mathews_thumbsup.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

Should I buy an iPad3, or should I wait for the iPad4? I heard they are upgrading the iPad3 soon, so maybe I should wait. ;)

LOL
I was thinking the same thing myself. :)

As far as upgrading . . . I'm on the fence. I use my iPad2 all the time and it has become almost indispensible (as much as any of my electronic toys can really be considered as such), but . . . .

1) The iPad2 does everything that I know that I want to do very well. I'm not waiting for or looking for any new features.
2) Speed is not an issue. I don't find myself waiting on the iPad to respond.
3) Better resoloution is always desirable (at least in theory) but on a portable device with a relatively small screen, what I see looks pretty good to me.

Bottomline: I love gadgets and can probably be talked into going for the newest version, but the sane portion of my brain is waiting for some good reasons to upgrade, and so far I haven't seen any.

Reaction score
The number of cores has nothing to do with multitasking. And iOS multitasks just fine in the background.

As an admitted non-expert on such processing issues, what IS the advantage of quad-core verses duo or single on an iOS device?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hmmm... I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for deals on used iPad2's and price drops on refurbished iPad2's.

Don't bother - you need to wait for the iPad 5. Although, you don't want to miss out on the obvious advantages of the iPad 6... :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
"You bought the wrong TV, sillyhead!"

Reaction score
I think four cores would be redundant on a mobile device, don'tcha think? I think more RAM would be more sufficient if we're talking multitasking, no? :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.