Imac G5 1.8 running on Tiger

Reaction score
:confused:
Hi everyone,
I have been using my Imac for a year hadn't had any problems until 2 months ago. 2 frostrating problems. One being out of nowhere my mac shuts down sometimes back to back some times few days apart. I kept a log of shut downs; within the last month it has been 12 times. Second problem is freeze, this happened to me a lot in iphoto while dragging photos, I thought I was doing something wrong but just this morning I was organizing my files dragging and dropping it froze again. This drives me nuts. I am not sure if this problem started after I installed Tiger. It could very well be. I was so excited about tiger I purchased it as soon as it came out. Any advise?? Thanks,
Lilidc

Reaction score
Update OS X, Go to Disk Utility and run repair permissions. That might fix your freezing problem, but I would guess the random restart thing is a hardware issue.

You could always try doing a clean install of Tiger

OP
L
Reaction score
mynameis said:
Update OS X, Go to Disk Utility and run repair permissions. That might fix your freezing problem, but I would guess the random restart thing is a hardware issue.

You could always try doing a clean install of Tiger

Thanks I will try that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If that is the first revision iMac G5, there could be a fried transistor in the powersupply. Mine was doing this over the summer, except it wouldn't stay on at all, just went into a reboot cycle. I suggest getting to apple store to have it looked at

OP
L
Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
If that is the first revision iMac G5, there could be a fried transistor in the powersupply. Mine was doing this over the summer, except it wouldn't stay on at all, just went into a reboot cycle. I suggest getting to apple store to have it looked at

thanks, I did that. I also talked to someone over at technical support he mentioned that it could be a powersupply. And last month I took it to apple store where they supposedly tried everythin and said they do not see any problem. And as for the shut down of the system they said we need it to happen while we have in our premesis to understand. I cannot possibly leave my mac there for days because this problem is really unpredictable. It could be days, weeks before it happens again.

I hope to resolve this issue. Thanks for the advise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I would also suggest either a clean install or an archive and install if you haven't got an external drive to back up your data to.

Archive & Install basically strips out the OS, leaving your data intact and replaces it with a fresh clean copy of Tiger.
Also make sure you have all firmware updates for your iMac. (Use software update).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
ive got a 1.6 imac and was running 10.4.3 and it was freezing up ALOT. i googled a little here and there and found some other imac users having the same problem 10.4.3. is pretty frustrating, i know. i installed panther back on my system 5 days ago or so, and its froze up once. it maybe be a glitch in the new update? im not planning on going back to tiger until they seem to fix the problem. if thats an option, you might want to try that. i didnt use those silly widgets anyway...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.