Airport Extreme & Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi

I have an Airport Extreme with a HDD (1TB) connected to it, which I use with Time Machine. Everything works how it should, however, I went into TM to retrieve a file that I had deleted a month or so ago, and the TM machine shows that I can only go back around 10 days. There are no other back-ups before this date.

Now, I may be answering my own question here, but a week or so ago, a message was displayed saying that TM needed to make a complete new back up, and was it OK to proceed and I clicked yes. Is this why I can only go back around 10 days? I would have thought that the point of TM is that it would keep an archive of files, regardless.

This is the second time I have had the message regarding re-building the back up, but did not notice if it had erased all previous files. BTW, I have about 800GB free on the TM HDD, so it is not a space issue.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You've answered your own question to an extent. A whole, fresh, backup will replace all the previous incremental backups.

The issue that needs resolving is why it's prompting to do a full backup again. I'd suggest it's because some kind of fault was detected with the TM backup or disk.

It's worth checking the disk for errors etc.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Thanks mrplow for your reply. I figured as much with regard to the re-building deleting
the old back ups. You are right though regarding why it is doing it?.......it shouldn't. Like I say, this is the second time I have had this message displayed in 6 months.

I don't know what could cause it to do this, unless it is disc errors, as you have kindly pointed out. I will have to do some thorough checking.

Many thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.