FInder eating 100% of CPU

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.
Finder is at about 100% of CPU usage right now.

This happens ONLY when I view folders in icon view and there's many different folders or app icons on the screen.

First screenshot is with normal CPU usage with the applications folder opne, notice the window isn't showing all the icons.

Pdsx8.jpg

The second image is when the CPU is using 100%, nothing else changed.

wIZDD.jpg

What's strange is that when I log into my other account on the same computer it doesn't eat CPU time with the same apps open and finder window showing all icons.

This doesn't happen with list view, nor is it set to calculate folder size.

Can anyone help?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Your whole post revolves around CPU usage...how about posting some photos of Activity Monitor for the two situations mentioned...so we can see what's going on with all the computers processes??

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your whole post revolves around CPU usage...how about posting some photos of Activity Monitor for the two situations mentioned...so we can see what's going on with all the computers processes??

- Nick

Sure. :)

JXP67.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the Activity Monitor image. You had the "Network" tab selected at the bottom of the window.

Could you post two more images?...one with the "CPU" tab selected...and one with the "System Memory" tab selected. maybe this will help to "tease" out some details.

Thanks,

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Since you're using Lion, you have a multi core machine. One thing to note about multi core machines is that each core counts as a processor. What this means is that each process has 100% capacity so a dual core machine can have 200% usage. So, if you have a dual core machine, 97.7% is really equivalent to 48.9% usage. This doesn't explain the usage but it should help to clarify the usage value.

My machine is no different:

finder_cpu.jpg

I'm willing to bet that this isn't really a problem with your machine but more the behaviour of OS X. My suggestion would be to refrain from using icon view with all icons showing. List view sips at the processor in "full view" so that might be worth considering as an alternative.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found out that it was dropbox sucking down CPU time, so I just closed it.

Thanks for the replies anyway. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.