Mac Virtual PC keeps crashing upon loading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet
Hi guys,

I am trying to install MS Virtual PC (For Mac) on my PPC4. Reason being I just want to run some old DOS Games.

I dragged the application to the Applications folder and when I double click on the Virtual PC application to run it tries to load and then it says that the application is not responding and would you like to quit (or something to that affect)

Two questions.

1. Am I doing something wrong here to install it?

2. Where can I go to look at the logs to see if there is an error messages generated in the system logs? And what do I need to look for?

3. Any other advice?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Best advice is to give VPC in all its formats a great big miss ShadowDan. It is slow, slow, slow and not worth the effort. Only advice maybe is to invest in an Intel machine and run Windows via Bootcamp.

Tried VPC, SoftWindows etc in PPC days on a DP machine with no success at all. Microsoft dumped VPC years ago now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good advice from Harry. Even the most basic Intel machine can run WINE which will enable all your old DOS games to work just like they did in DOS. WINE is free.

C

chas_m

I know this is not terribly helpful, but based on my own experiences with VPC a long time ago, it sounds like it is performing normally. :(

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini PowerPC G4 Mac OS X 10.5.8 120 GIG HDD Ethernet
Thanks for the advice, actually guys I ended up getting it working. Don't know how the heck I did. I'm usually persistent. Windows 3.1/dos and the games I am running works like a beauty. Not one single crash yet. But yeah I think I will invest a more viable machine eventually though.

You guys are just being honest and I like that - so need to apologize. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.