Building a low budget G5

Reaction score
This is my first post so I'll start off by saying hello to the mac forums. My purpose for this thread is to find out where I need to start to slowly upgrade a G5 from something mild to extreme. Im currently using a 2010 Mac Mini: 2.66GHz core 2 duo, 4GB DDR3. It does a great job of things I wanted it for. I did some amazing things with it using iMovie and after effects. It handled everything I threw at it. but.......... I would like to render faster and smoother with a higher end machine. and Im using 3D image software nowadays so im pushing this lil guy to the limit. I would like to buy a base model G5 that is capable of being upgraded to the finest G5. I know there are single and dual Procesors and PCI Express. But not exactly sure what I need to be looking for that will get me what Im looking for.. So yea I want the cheapest lowgrade G5 that can be upgraded heavily. Ive poked around amazon and I think this is what Im looking for. but I could be wrong and miss lead by the dual 2.0 GHz power PC G5. heres a link

Amazon.com: Apple Power Mac G5 Desktop M9032LL/A (Dual 2.0-GHz PowerPC G5, 512 MB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, DVD-R/CD-RW Drive): Computers & Accessories

Please tell me if this is what Im looking for.. if not could ya tell me what I need, or link me in the right direction?? or is the whole dual processor thing overkill for moviemaking and cranking the graphics up in Xplane 9? Thanks in advance. Budget mac user.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In a hurry but but will say this. A G5 is old. It's slow. Even a Quad Core G5 can't keep up with newer intel systems unless you use software that is made for a Power PC under an Emulator on an Intel Mac.

Sounds like you want a Mac Pro which is the Intel successor to the Power Mac G5. If you want faster than your C2D mini, you do not want a Power PC!

Reaction score
This is my first post so I'll start off by saying hello to the mac forums. My purpose for this thread is to find out where I need to start to slowly upgrade a G5 from something mild to extreme. Im currently using a 2010 Mac Mini: 2.66GHz core 2 duo, 4GB DDR3. It does a great job of things I wanted it for. I did some amazing things with it using iMovie and after effects. It handled everything I threw at it. but.......... I would like to render faster and smoother with a higher end machine. and Im using 3D image software nowadays so im pushing this lil guy to the limit. I would like to buy a base model G5 that is capable of being upgraded to the finest G5. I know there are single and dual Procesors and PCI Express. But not exactly sure what I need to be looking for that will get me what Im looking for.. So yea I want the cheapest lowgrade G5 that can be upgraded heavily. Ive poked around amazon and I think this is what Im looking for. but I could be wrong and miss lead by the dual 2.0 GHz power PC G5. heres a link

Amazon.com: Apple Power Mac G5 Desktop M9032LL/A (Dual 2.0-GHz PowerPC G5, 512 MB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, DVD-R/CD-RW Drive): Computers & Accessories

Please tell me if this is what Im looking for.. if not could ya tell me what I need, or link me in the right direction?? or is the whole dual processor thing overkill for moviemaking and cranking the graphics up in Xplane 9? Thanks in advance. Budget mac user.

You already own what your're looking for a mac mini..

I LOVE PowerPC I don't find it old or dead but rendering is seriously processor intensive and your 2.66 Core2Duo will render significantly faster than any G5 to include the quad.

If you really want a new computer sell the mini and take that mony and the money you'd put into the G5 and buy a new mini..I'd be inclined to get the Mini Server..4 real and 8 virtual cores of SNB will be many orders of magnitude faster the 2 cores of PowerPC 970.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the replys. Yea I started to realize the intell Mac was the one I was looking for. So now I'm slightly on a more narrow path to what I'm looking for. Now the Mac Mini I have is great. I love almost everything about it except that I can't upgrade the video card. X plane 9 is on very limited graphics settings. So I'm really just looking to get something I can update/ upgrade. If I get an intell Mac Pro can I upgrade it in 5 years? Or even of I can't update it, it should atleast run anything I can throw at it. So I guess I need to figure out if I even need dual processors or if I can throw a quad core single in it and have it run smoothly for awesome graphics and speedy rendering during moviemaking. I'm aware the video card is the producer of high quality graphics and that's what makes me think I don't need 8 cores to play a video game. Or simple 3d image rendering that I can already do on a Mini. I just don't wanna buy something I wish I could improve. So ANY advice is well apreciated. I'm happy to be a part of the Mac Fam.

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the replys. Yea I started to realize the intell Mac was the one I was looking for. So now I'm slightly on a more narrow path to what I'm looking for. Now the Mac Mini I have is great. I love almost everything about it except that I can't upgrade the video card. X plane 9 is on very limited graphics settings. So I'm really just looking to get something I can update/ upgrade. If I get an intell Mac Pro can I upgrade it in 5 years? Or even of I can't update it, it should atleast run anything I can throw at it. So I guess I need to figure out if I even need dual processors or if I can throw a quad core single in it and have it run smoothly for awesome graphics and speedy rendering during moviemaking. I'm aware the video card is the producer of high quality graphics and that's what makes me think I don't need 8 cores to play a video game. Or simple 3d image rendering that I can already do on a Mini. I just don't wanna buy something I wish I could improve. So ANY advice is well apreciated. I'm happy to be a part of the Mac Fam.

If you start looking at a Mac Pro the earliest I'd look for is 3,1 that way you have the 64bit EFI. 1,1 and 2,1 both have 32bit but with that restriction you've now eliminated low budget. The reason for the 64bit EFI is future expandability Apple may use that as a cut off point to eliminate older macs it's already a hang point with some video cards.

If it was my money I'd wait for the mac pro refresh and pick up a single processor Mac Pro.

OP
B
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the advice. after a lil research ill may go with a 2008 3.1 but I might just chill with on of the older 32 bit. I really dont think I should need more than that. But Ill for sure keep up on my homework before I make the buy. Im thinking the 2.2 will do the job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.