Firefox or Google Chrome on your Mac?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chris, isn't IE10 due out? 9 is not that bad.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
For some reason I just don't like Chrome on Windows. Things missing that I love like the drop down menus in the bar and I saw no way to enable in the Windows version, so still use FF and Opera there. Also on Linux no Chrome or am i missing something Van?
Nope, Chrome works like a champ on Linux. As for my screenshot, it was VirtualBox. ;)

I have looked back at Firefox a couple of times with their recent series of rapid version number updates, but it just feels so clunky now. Especially since they haven't embraced some of Lion's UI elements like disappearing scroll bars and Apple-style full screen mode.

I'd echo the others' sentiments and say use whatever floats your boat... but I'm no longer as apt to endorse Firefox.
Fullscreen is coming shortly - here's a screenshot of the latest UX build:

ux_fullscreen.jpg

I don't want to encourage you to go back to Firefox though. I think we all know my feelings on Firefox, haha.

Chris, isn't IE10 due out? 9 is not that bad.
It's in "test drive" status right now so it'll be a while.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you running Windows 7 in Virtual Box? Show me IE on it's own in OSX and I will be impressed! :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you running Windows 7 in Virtual Box? Show me IE on it's own in OSX and I will be impressed! :D
That I can't do but I don't want to, haha. I say that while willing to admit that IE9 is decent and the first version of IE in a very long time that appears to have been cared about by MS. This is why complacency is a dangerous thing - MS got complacent with a 95%+ market share and IE quality tanks. As soon as they start hemorrhaging market share, they put effort into it.

Reaction score
Another thing about Chrome. If I use hotmail on my iMac, it will not let me copy anything. I don't know if its hotmail or my iMac that refuses to play nice, but every other thing I open in Chrome behaves very well on my iMac.

I think all the other browsers are just trying to play catch up to Chrome - badly. No contest. I fled IE after trying Chrome for a day, much much faster and never a crash - ever....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd say that they all try to chase each other and if you're a browser historian, you'd say that they all used to chase Opera. ;)

C

chas_m

and neither Safari nor Chrome has anything that can touch NoScript for when I want to be paranoid about trackers.

This isn't true. While there is no SINGLE plugin that replicates NoScript, there are two or three that more than do the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
This isn't true. While there is no SINGLE plugin that replicates NoScript, there are two or three that more than do the job.

I'm actually legitimately interested in this topic, as NoScript is a large part of why I hold onto Firefox (another being Session Manager, the replacements for which on Safari and Chrome are somewhat lacking to say the least). I know Ghostery can block trackers it recognizes, but it cannot outright block all javascript/XSS/etc. from specified domains - I've also never seen it catch everything NoScript does. Is there another addon that helps with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have Safari, Firefox and Chrome installed and for the last 4 years I have only focussed on Safari.
However, due to some dark Canadian influences :\ , I started checking out Chrome and I like it more only for the fact that it uses far less memory .... memory I can now use to work with larger Excel sheets.

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, due to some dark Canadian influences :\ , I started checking out Chrome and I like it more only for the fact that it uses far less memory .... memory I can now use to work with larger Excel sheets.
Hey, I'm a positive ray of light! :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, I'm a positive ray of light! :p

You need a new LED in your light Van! :D Grin

On another note, when I complained about Windows Vista using over 512-768 MB RAM just to boot, I was told, RAM is meant to be used so who cares? I hate sloppy programming plus the RAM is there for ME to use, not to get all sucked up by a stupid poorly programmed OS like Vista was! :D

C

chas_m

I'm actually legitimately interested in this topic, as NoScript is a large part of why I hold onto Firefox (another being Session Manager, the replacements for which on Safari and Chrome are somewhat lacking to say the least). I know Ghostery can block trackers it recognizes, but it cannot outright block all javascript/XSS/etc. from specified domains - I've also never seen it catch everything NoScript does. Is there another addon that helps with this?

http://www.pimpmysafari.com/lists/The-Blockers-Extension-and-Plugins-that-Block-Ads-and-Javascript/

And there are others besides these, like Incognito. And yes, a Javascript blocker.

I can't verify that some combo of these equal to or better than NoScript, but they should be more than adequate for almost anyone.

OP
erikfig
Reaction score
Horray! After using Chrome for 3 days, I returned back to my favorite Firefox. In my experience, Firefox was quicker when launching webpages. Even when cached, chrome was really buggy. But again, just my experience.

Macbook Pro 2011 13inched.
2.4GHz
4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel Core i5

Reaction score
Was using Chrome - but with the saved logins (which is convenient) for me and the new Google's privacy policy I decided to switch to good old FF...

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
A potent combination - it's the same one I use here. I've more or less moved to Chrome full time but I keep an eye on Opera.

Im dissapointed in you Smith. i thought you were Opera through and through!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Safari is the best on my machine. I tried Firefox and it was a dog.
But in the rare instances I use Windows Firefox is my browser of choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 1.03 TB Fusion Drive
Firefox with NoScript, Adblock Plus and Cookie Monster.
It has the best cookie management.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im dissapointed in you Smith. i thought you were Opera through and through!
Oh, I still support it as a fantastic browser. Sorry to disappoint you though. ;)

If it helps, I just installed Opera Mobile on my tablet and it blows away any other browser.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Oh, I still support it as a fantastic browser. Sorry to disappoint you though. ;)

If it helps, I just installed Opera Mobile on my tablet and it blows away any other browser.

Ive had quite the opposite experience. I have Opera Mini on the iPhone, and it kinda sucks... Clicking links sometimes doesnt work, bad tab design, slow rendering, you name it :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.