Setting Default Programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
I've been struggling to set a default program for opening .wms files. Currently on my iMac I have Parallels installed running Windows including Windows Media Player in a separate partition and any time I try to open a .wms in OSX it opens up Parallels with all the tedious consequences of everything slowing down/freezing until it loads. I can, if I remember, right click and choose a program installed in OSX but I can't find where to set a default where this happens automatically. I've set a default in Parallels preferences but ironically that doesn't appear to have priority when I try to open a file in OSX

On a similar topic on inserting an external HD or memory stick for the first time, because I have Parallels I'm asked whether I want to open it in my Mac or Windows (Parallels) partition. Initially I indicated my preference and clicked various buttons without realising that it wouldn't ask me each time unless I asked it to on the first occasion. I'm now in the position of wanting to back up my Parallels partition but when I connect my external HD it opens automatically in my Mac partition and I can't figure out how to change its mind!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm in my first year of transition from a PC where that sort of thing was so easy! Struggling to keep the faith!

Chris

Reaction score
To set a default file association, find a file of a certain type, right-click, and choose Get Info. In the Open With section of the resulting window, choose your desired program, and then click the "Change All" button.

Just out of curiosity, with which program on your Mac will you associate a WMS file -- assuming we're talking Windows Media Skins?

On the Parallels question, I'm afraid we'll need to wait for somebody else to answer, as I use Fusion.

Good luck!

Z

Reaction score
I also use Fusion. I would sugest to download VLC Media player and try that way. VLC can play any files on your mac no matter the extension.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to you both for your replies. My apologies I meant to refer to .wmv files not .wms! I was intending to use VLC even before erikfig suggested it as I have found that it plays the .MTS video files generated by my Panasonic Lumix TZ10 where I have had problems before I found VLC

I tried right clicking on a .wmv file but there was no option Get Info in the list which appeared, just Open With and an arrow which opens up the possibilities including VLC. I've been there before but it only offers a one-off solution and I wanted a permanent fix. Do you have any other ideas as to how I could achieve it?

I wish I had used something other than Parallels - I find it irritatingly slow and intrusive, at times while it's loading it freezes everything else and when it's loaded it seems to use the processor even when I'm not doing anything with it. I tried their techies who suggested that I uninstall Norton and install Kaspersky which I did but it doesn't appear to have made any difference. Fortunately I only use it for a couple of old Windows programs and Excel with macros where Mac offers no alternative/goes ape if I try to use them so the irritation is reasonably short-lived and I switch it off as soon as I am done

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've cracked it! You need to first find the document in Finder then click on File>Get Info >Open With click on the drop down menu choose the program and then click on the Change All button, click on the box that opens to confirm that's what you want to do and voila!

Thanks for your suggestions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.