'07 MBP battery expanded while charging overnight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Overnight, I charged an extra battery for my MBP before going on a business trip. This morning, I woke up and found the MBP still on but didn't show a charge for the battery. I flipped over the notebook and found the battery had expanded from out of the battery bay and the press to test button on the battery didn't work. No harm was done to the notebook (touch wood) but the stock battery is AFU...

l.jpg
l.jpg

l.jpg
l.jpg

Has anyone else seen or had this problem?
When I return from my trip in 3 weeks, I'll stop by the Apple store to find out WTH happened.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
WOW...that's pretty nasty looking! Too bad you're away for 3 weeks...I would love to hear what the folks at the Apple Store say.

- Nick

Reaction score
Just confirms what they say about the Li batteries being dangerous, you are lucky it did not cause a fire and burn you out of the home. This has happened to many others.

OP
JUKE179r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a google search and I guess I was lucky with no fire. It just scares the crap out of me that it could have resulted in worse actions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Batteries swelling is generally due to gas that's generated due to degeneration of the electrolyte in the battery. Out of curiosity, how old was the cell?

OP
JUKE179r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was the battery that originally came with my '07 MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 17" late 2007 model (A1229) 2.6Ghz; 4GB Ram
I had this happen on my 07 MBP although not to such an extent!

I visited my local Apple store and the Genius looked at it and basically said it was due to the battery failing due to age and use (I think it had had nearly 800 cycles so not too bad!)

They wouldn't replace it under any form of warranty or good will but I did manage to get a new one for £80GBP compared to the full retail of £101GBP

OP
JUKE179r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to follow up...

I finally took the MBP and Battery to the Apple Store since I returned from my business trip.
It's was the same thing that Buck 68 stated.... it was due to the age of it, no warranty, yada yada, we can sell you one for $120. ;P

OWC has them cheaper so I'm going to purchase one from them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I finally took the MBP and Battery to the Apple Store since I returned from my business trip.
It's was the same thing that Buck 68 stated.... it was due to the age of it, no warranty, yada yada, we can sell you one for $120. ;P

OWC has them cheaper so I'm going to purchase one from them.

Sorry to hear about that. It would have been nice if Apple could have done more...at very least, sold you a battery at wholesale cost (which I think is around $99).

Thanks a ton for the update!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.