Restoring To Factory Settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
I'm about to sell my old iMac (2006 model) and want to reset it back to factory settings like it was before it was switched on for the first time so that it's new owner can set it up the way they want.

I know I can do this from the install disc but when I bought this Mac it came with Tiger installed. Since then I've upgraded to Leopard and Snow Leopard but always as upgrades and not fresh installs. Obviously I want to sell it with Snow Leopard installed but can do I do this since the license I have for SL is as an upgrade i.e. will it need me to either provide a license for Leopard or have Leopard or Tiger installed first?

Also, obviously I'd sell the Mac with the Snow Leopard disc but do I also need to include the Leopard and Tiger discs as this is an upgrade license? I'm just not sure if I still have them or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You don't have the right to sell that Mac with Snow Leopard installed unless you transfer the license along with the install discs to the new owner. Besides, if the new owner finds himself needing to reinstall Snow Leopard, he's going to find himself in a pickle.

That said, you can simply install Snow Leopard. No need to install a prior OS first. At the bare minimum, you should include the original install discs that came with the Mac. They are only usable on that specific model anyway, and have tools like the Apple Hardware Test that are not available otherwise. To be true to your licensing agreements, you should include the discs for Snow Leopard and, if SL was the "upgrade" priced version, the discs for Leopard as well.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Cheers for that. Well I've found the Tiger disc, still can't find the Leopard one although I'm sure I must have it somewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.