How to check the memory in a Mac Mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
I hope this is the correct location for this question but if not, maybe one of the Mods can shift it to where it should be.
OK, I bought myself a Mac Mini Aluminium of Mid 2010 vintage which came direct from the Apple Store complete with 4 GB of Ram. Just recently I bought a second 4 GB Ram chip to max the system out at 8 GB. I opened up the box and slotted the new chip in place and that was easy enough. I then fired her up and System Properties showed the Mac to have 8 GB of Ram.
But it just doesn't seem any faster.
Is there an trusted website that I can go to that will check out my computer??
Cheers,
Steve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can go to the crucial website, that will give you a report of what's in your Mac. As will the System Profiler found on your Mac under 'about this Mac'

But what sort of speed increase were you expecting?

4gb is a pretty robust configuration for a Mac Mini. There can't be many applications/uses that will push it beyond the needs of 4gb.

What do you do on it that you think having 8gb will boost the performance?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just recently I bought a second 4 GB Ram chip to max the system out at 8 GB. I opened up the box and slotted the new chip in place and that was easy enough. I then fired her up and System Properties showed the Mac to have 8 GB of Ram.
But it just doesn't seem any faster.

See...this is where the confusion is...adding more ram does not necessarily make a computer faster.

More than likely the 4gig of ram that came with your Mac-mini was fine for your current needs...thus adding more ram (total of 8gig) would make next to no noticeable difference. But on the positive side...if your computing needs get more demanding...then that 8gig can/will come in handy.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.