Launching App Shortcut doesn't work from Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5
Hi,
I've created a keyboard shortcut in Automator to launch the app OmniFocus. This is something I've done for a dozen apps without an issue.

For some reason, my OmniFocus keyboard shortcut (Control-Command-O) works when any app is open EXCEPT Finder. For example, if I'm in Safari and I hit my Omni keyboard shortcut, Omni does launch. But if I'm in Finder, it doesn't launch.

I double-checked that the name I gave the service corresponded exactly to the Menu command; I restarted the Mac; I erased and re-entered the Service.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Have you tried setting a different shortcut to see if that will work? Offhand, I don't see where that is currently used in Finder, but my best guess is that there must be a conflict of some sort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Ctrl-Cmd-o - in finder means open (whatever is selected) - that is why it doesn't work in finder.

OP
Command Alt Ego
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ivan: On my Mac, Cmd-O means open whatever is selected in Finder, not Ctrl-Cmd-O. Hitting Ctrl-Cmd-O with an item selected in Finder doesn't do anything on my Mac.

lifeisabeach: I have indeed tried other shortcuts (for instance Ctrl-Cmd-4) which produces the same result: It opens the app as long as I'm not in Finder!

thanks for your suggestions, though! anything else i could try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Cmd-o and cmd-ctrl-o seem to do the same thing for me. Also cmd-ctrl 1 2 3 4 seems to change the view in finder - so that is probably overriding what you said.

You could try Alfred or Quicksilver to launch apps
Alfred App
Blacktree

I like the concept of hotkeys but there tends to be too many conflicts.

OP
Command Alt Ego
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Ivan. For some reason, OmniFocus is the only app I've ever encountered this issue with!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.