Software to CREATE images

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
Thanks all for the advice. :) I just had a bad experience with Pixel Magic, was on sale at the app store, but discovered after downloading it, there's NO help file OR tech support. I could hardly figure it out, so I got a refund and deleted it. I found Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 for $63.00, (on another site), which I can almost afford, but I have to wait.

If there's anything similar to Photoshop, the only one I know of is one that came with an old scanner, which I doubt will work on a Mac, it's still on my PC; and there may be something similar that comes with printer software, but I don't know if it works on Macs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Pixelmator is not Pixel Magic and comes with a comprehensive help file and on line tutorials. I don't know why you downloaded Pixel Magic instead after the advise you received here? But if wish to spend more money and time on Photoshop Elements, that's your choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
Pixelmator is not Pixel Magic and comes with a comprehensive help file and on line tutorials. I don't know why you downloaded Pixel Magic instead after the advise you received here? But if wish to spend more money and time on Photoshop Elements, that's your choice.

It's been awhile since I read the messages here about graphics programs and forgot, or maybe my mind remembered the Pixel part only, who knows. I did remember GIMP, so that's what I tried first. I forgot about the other; should've looked on here before getting P M. My mistake. How embarrassing. :(

Reaction score
:( I tried GIMP and couldn't figure it out no matter what I did or read about; it's like nothing I've ever seen, couldn't do a darn thing with it. Grrrr. I've been on computers for many many years; that program is one of the worst I've ever seen as far as being so VERY UN user friendly. For those who figured it out, please don't say how easy it is, it may be for you, which it fine. I had to try it anyway despite reading how difficult it is, just to see for myself. Those who said it's hard are right. I'm not blaming anyone, it's just how things go. Oh well, still saving for Photoshop while I use the other programs I have. :(

Well the problem is that GIMP is not a native OSX program. The GIMP is Photoshop for Linux, and if you use it under an environment like Gnome it would make perfect sense. Kind of like how Mac is different from PCs and so on. But of course, Linux is not known to be user friendly. Then again, last I checked Photoshop was truly expensive while Gimp is free as in beer and as in freedom. Pixelmator is the only true alternative to Photoshop in OSX.

So having said that, I suggest that you try Inkscape which you can download from http://downloads.sourceforge.net/inkscape/Inkscape-0.48.2-1-SNOWLEOPARD.dmg

Inkscape is a software for creating "images" from scratch, by using what they call vector graphics. It is the same way Illustrator is used to create images (meaning drawing something on the computer) and has a lot of tools to help you, like aligning stuff with each other, moving objects and text around, layers, etc. Give it a try, a lot of people that come from using Paint for their basic graphic needs really have a lot to gain by investing some time in a vector graphics software.

There is another alternative which might be the easiest of all for you and free as well, which is NeoOffice or LibreOffice. Both are based on the same source code but NeoOffice is better adapted to OSX look and feel. Then you can use the word processor or the Draw application (not sure if it still included nowadays) to create your graphics in the same way you would use Microsoft Office for such things.

Keep in mind that all of the free software I mentioned come from the Linux camp, so don't expect picture perfect features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, thanks for the info. Sorry I didn't look here, wanted to acknowledge your message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Pixelmator for the current price is hard to beat I had to have it don't know how many times I will use it but it used to be fifty bucks I thought anyway for 15.00 and all it does it was a no-brainer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pixelmator for the current price is hard to beat I had to have it don't know how many times I will use it but it used to be fifty bucks I thought anyway for 15.00 and all it does it was a no-brainer.
yeah, it's got some nice features, does almost everything I need. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.