Software to CREATE images

Reaction score
Hi All, New to the forum!
Ive recently converted to a MacBook Pro from a windows laptop.
For work purposes i have to create different images at different sizes. On my old windows laptop i used 'Photoscape' but they don't have a Mac version. Can anyone recommend any FREE applications or software for Mac that will enable me to create images with text and pictures and effects.. I've tried GIMP but don't really like it lol
Thanks all.

C

chas_m

You can try LiveQuartz, that might meet your needs ...

If you're willing to cough up $30, I think you'll find that Pixelmator is a super-powerful option that's head and shoulders above the free stuff.

OP
B
Reaction score
just read up on LiveQuartz, it says its a photo editor, i need to be able to create images from scratch too.

thanks for the reply tho :)

OP
B
Reaction score
anyone got any other ideas? this is really frustrating me about Mac, supposed to be amazing at anything to do with images and there isn't anything that allows you to create images??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Pages will be the easiest (by far) and cheapest option that will do what you ask. It's a great $79 (iWork suite) investment for your mac.
Maybe Graphic Converter....shareware, people like it. I personally hate it but I hate a lot of software.
I'm picky about interface and I'm a long time photoshop user so GC doesn't work for me but like I said, people like it.
The Mac OS is an operating system. It's the industry standard in design/publishing for many reasons (some of which haven't been valid for 5-10 years) but not because it's also an image editor. You need software that runs on the OS to do anything right? Good software by and large isn't free. Especially when it comes to complex things like image and video editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
just read up on LiveQuartz, it says its a photo editor, i need to be able to create images from scratch too.

thanks for the reply tho :)

Photoscape : Free Photo Editing Software (Photo Editor) Download
Photoscape is a fun and easy photo editing software that enables you to fix and enhance photos.

I don't see a difference in description? Any photo editor will let you generate a new picture. It's just that drawing with it may not be ideal.

Gimp is a very good free one - and there are a lot of tutorials with it. It just takes some getting used to.

Usually free form drawing/pictures are done in some type of vector artwork editor like illustrator from adobe. See if any of these meet your needs.
Comparison of vector graphics editors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
anyone got any other ideas? this is really frustrating me about Mac, supposed to be amazing at anything to do with images and there isn't anything that allows you to create images??

Half the problem is you want something free.

Will SketchBook Express do what you need?
Mac App Store - SketchBook Express

There's also Seashore. It's based on GIMP, but is Mac-native and doesn't run under X11 (that annoys the daylights out of me).
http://seashore.sourceforge.net/The_Seashore_Project/About.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
It would be nice to be able to afford a good graphics creator/editor program for me, too, but it won't happen for awhile, so I also need to find something free. I know the free programs aren't as good as the paid ones, but not everyone can afford to pay; it's not that they don't want to. We do our best with what we have. This machine costs quite a bit, wiped out savings but it's worth it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only free program that I can recommend is the GIMP which you can download from here. However, it's not exactly the easiest program to setup and get running right. But once you do, the results are great. It's not a "Photoshop" but it runs a close second in my opinion.

There's also Pixelmator mentioned earlier. It now sells for $14.99 in the Mac App store and is what I use because I need something with "training wheels". ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
The only free program that I can recommend is the GIMP which you can download from here. However, it's not exactly the easiest program to setup and get running right. But once you do, the results are great. It's not a "Photoshop" but it runs a close second in my opinion.

There's also Pixelmator mentioned earlier. It now sells for $14.99 in the Mac App store and is what I use because I need something with "training wheels". ;)

Hi, thanks for your advice. :) I might try GIMP when I'm feeling patient enough. If I can't figure it out, I'll just wait awhile and buy the other one.

C

chas_m

Maybe if we had a clearer idea of what you mean by "creating images" we could offer better suggestions.

Drawing programs and painting programs let you "create" images -- but they are entirely different than photo-editing programs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True about drawing and painting programs. On my pc I have a program similar to Photoshop, it lets me draw and create, as well as doing photo editing, so I was wondering if there's anything like that, It came with a scanner that no longer works, but I manage to transfer the program to other machines, but I don't know if it'd work on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got SketchBook Express, it works ok, simple, kinda like the paintbrush program; I can make drawings with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OR

there is always running Windows on a VM or via BootCamp . . . .

C

chas_m

I'm still not clear on exactly what you're trying to do. ANY of the numerous programs we've mentioned (including ANY photo editor) can create images from scratch. It very much depends on what you want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Someday I will get Photoshop, got to use it a couple of times and loved it. For now, I'm trying GIMP, have Sketchbook, it's ok but I still plan on Photoshop when I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:( I tried GIMP and couldn't figure it out no matter what I did or read about; it's like nothing I've ever seen, couldn't do a darn thing with it. Grrrr. I've been on computers for many many years; that program is one of the worst I've ever seen as far as being so VERY UN user friendly. For those who figured it out, please don't say how easy it is, it may be for you, which it fine. I had to try it anyway despite reading how difficult it is, just to see for myself. Those who said it's hard are right. I'm not blaming anyone, it's just how things go. Oh well, still saving for Photoshop while I use the other programs I have. :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most folks who used or tried GIMP would probably agree with you, however, the program is free open source so all you lost was time and a lot of frustration. Why not give Pixelmator a try? It's $14.99 in the Mac App store and while it's not Photoshop, you might find that it can do many of the things you need it for.

Reaction score
You can try LiveQuartz, that might meet your needs ...

If you're willing to cough up $30, I think you'll find that Pixelmator is a super-powerful option that's head and shoulders above the free stuff.

As others have mentioned, it's now $15 OR you can try it free for 30 days.

Great forum. Questions asked.. and answered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.