Can't decide on which Macbook Air to get

Reaction score
Hello!

After my laptop broke, my insurance providor is giving me a new laptop, but I can add on my own money if I want something more expensive. I was thinking of using this opportunity to buy a Macbook.

The reasons for this are mostly because I find laptops too large and heavy. With a Macbook Air 11", I could fit it in my handbag and wouldn't need a second bag to hold my notepad and lunch etc.

However, I had a go on the 11" today, and I'm still not sure about the screensize. The laptop would be used for university work and various programs which the course requires.

I have a PC at home, which I usually transfer my work to inorder to work on anyway, so I really can't decide on the screen.

The larger Macbook air is quite a bit more expensive, but then it has 4gb ram and 7 hour battery life. Then again, it's larger...

I need to decide by tomorrow, and was hoping for some feedback. This will be my first ever Mac.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: Or maybe I should get a Macbook Pro...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
personally, dont get the 11", especially if this will be your main mobile PC. Also, keep in mind, you cannot upgrade any part of the machine. Everything is soldered onto the logic board.

Most important for general daily use will be RAM. Always get the largest amount available. This cannot be upgraded at any time after you order/purchase.

Next is CPU. Again, cannot be upgraded.

Hard Drive can't be upgraded, however you can use USD devices to increase at least storage. I still would not go less than 128GB.

Get the best one you can afford, or wait an extra month for the next one up.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
With a Macbook Air 11", I could fit it in my handbag and wouldn't need a second bag to hold my notepad and lunch etc.

However, I had a go on the 11" today, and I'm still not sure about the screensize. The laptop would be used for university work and various programs which the course requires.

This decision is actually not as difficult as you may think. You basically already mentioned that you like the 11" size (to fit in your handbag)...but you're concerned that the 11" display is too small. Easy enough...then it sounds like the 13" is what you need to purchase.

I'm guessing you would want to get the lower-end 13" MacBook Air (with 128gig of storage)...although 256gig would be better.

Now you just have to figure out if you have the budget for the 13". If you do decide that the 11" MacBook Air is sufficient for your uses...DEFINITELY DEFINITELY get the 4gig of ram version. If you get the 2gig of ram version (to save money)...you will seriously regret this later on!

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
11"

An easy decision for me for exactly the reason you are attracted to it - portability. Mine is 4 gig memory and 256 gig SSD and I love it. I throw it in a Saddleback Leather MacBook Air sleeve (MacBook Air Sleeve) and then in a briefcase, back pack, wherever. Fantastic machine, light, portable, easy to use, long long battery life.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone for your replies!

I have decided to go with 4gig ram. I'm not bothered about storage space as things that take up a large space will either be on my PC or external hard drive.

For those who have the 11". Do you find the size annoying?

The 7 hour battery on the 13" makes it appealing and is good for protability, but a smaller notebook is just as appealing lol.

Also, how many years would you expect a Macbook Air to last? People say they would expect theirs to last for about 4 years, but I'm not sure if they're talking about when they would want to upgrade.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, how many years would you expect a Macbook Air to last? People say they would expect theirs to last for about 4 years, but I'm not sure if they're talking about when they would want to upgrade.

This totally depends on your needs. A new computer purchased today could still be useful 10 years from now if all someones needs are internet & e-mail (assuming the computer is not abused physically).

In my personal opinion...the MacBook Airs are the worst Macintosh computer someone can buy...if computer longevity is a concern. Why?...a max. of 4 gig of ram is pretty limiting. Compare this to all other currently selling Apple notebooks (MacBook Pro's)...all of them can be upgraded to 16 gig of ram...giving them a "fighting chance" of being more useful in the long-term.

This is the price you pay for being hip, trendy, and stylish!;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
This totally depends on your needs. A new computer purchased today could still be useful 10 years from now if all someones needs are internet & e-mail (assuming the computer is not abused physically).

In my personal opinion...the MacBook Airs are the worst Macintosh computer someone can buy...if computer longevity is a concern. Why?...a max. of 4 gig of ram is pretty limiting. Compare this to all other currently selling Apple notebooks (MacBook Pro's)...all of them can be upgraded to 16 gig of ram...giving them a "fighting chance" of being more useful in the long-term.

This is the price you pay for being hip, trendy, and stylish!;)

- Nick

Haha thanks for your responce.

Well, my computer will be upgradable for a very long time, so I'm not very worried about how long the Macbook will stay 'good' for, since if I ever do something that uses a lot of CPU or anything, my computer would be faster anyway.

The Macbook would be mostly used for word processing, research and random web browsing. Basically, it is for university and maybe a future career. When I'm at home, I will probably put my work onto USB and work from my PC.

However, 4 GB RAM would still be best, just for future's sake.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Have you looked into an iPad with an external bluetooth keyboard? It sounds like you dont even really need a full blown computer anyway.

OP
C
Reaction score
Have you looked into an iPad with an external bluetooth keyboard? It sounds like you dont even really need a full blown computer anyway.

That's a really good idea and I would prefer to do that, but I will need it for various software that my course requires, such as a network simulator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Install that software on your home PC, install SplashTop or LogMeIn on both and you can remote to your home PC.

OP
C
Reaction score
Install that software on your home PC, install SplashTop or LogMeIn on both and you can remote to your home PC.

Thank you, but that would require leaving my PC on while I'm away. Also, I forgot to mention that I can't stand touchscreen lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, my computer will be upgradable for a very long time, so I'm not very worried about how long the Macbook will stay 'good' for, since if I ever do something that uses a lot of CPU or anything, my computer would be faster anyway.

I'm sort confused by your response above. Two of your questions in this thread were:

1. Can't decide on which MacBook Air to get?
2. How many years would you expect a MacBook Air to last?

How do you figure that your "computer will be upgradable for a very long time"?:

- the ram is NOT upgradeable
- the storage capacity is not "intended" to be upgraded
- the ONLY thing that is upgradeable is the OS (when new versions are released).

Usually when folks talk about "upgrading" their computer..they're talking about hardware upgrades...and basically...nothing on the MacBook Air is internally upgradeable.

It also depends on what someone considers a "very long time". When it comes to computers...I would consider 5-7 years a "very long time"...but someone with "serious" computing demands...may consider 2-3 years a very long time.

Again I'm very confused by your reply quoted above..."Well, my computer will be upgradable for a very long time, so I'm not very worried about how long the Macbook will stay 'good' for, since if I ever do something that uses a lot of CPU or anything, my computer would be faster anyway."

...since you're the one asking the questions...you seem to be answering them as well with this statement (not sure what info you're basing this statement on)?:Confused:

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Nick, she means she has another computer at home. The Air is for her handbag. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
C
Reaction score
OK...I get it!;)...sorry for the confusion...I thought we were only talking about a new MacBook Air.:)

- Nick

Haha sorry :D

I've finally decided! I'm going for the 11" with 4gb.

One more question though...

What sort of sleeve would be padded enough to protect it? I know there are loads of sleeves the protect it against knocks, but is there anything to protect it form, say the bag/case slipping off your shoulder or something?

Thank you again for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
C
Reaction score
I recommend the following:
1. Screen Protector
2. Laptop Sleeve

I have both for my 17" MBP and I bought them for my parents' laptops. I am going by that you already have a bag as listed in your original post.

MacBook Screen Protector, LCD Display Cleaner, Keyboard Cover for MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, PowerBook, iBook & PC

Thanks! :D

I didn't think of getting a screen protector or a keyboard cover. Just had a look at some reviews. It seems that the Rear Earth one is good, but apparently keyboard covers slow down your typing speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The one from the link I posted is only on there while traveling or the screen is folded. It keeps the keys from making marks on the screen if something i placed on top of the laptop, which can happen in a bag.

OP
C
Reaction score
The one from the link I posted is only on there while traveling or the screen is folded. It keeps the keys from making marks on the screen if something i placed on top of the laptop, which can happen in a bag.

I can't seem to find a UK seller, but if I order from that website, it will be 22.41 in USD. You think it's worth that much?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.