15" MBP Normal Resolution vs High Resolution

Reaction score
Good day!
I'm on the verge of making the leap from Windows to Mac and I have a doubt.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the anti-glare high res screen, but I've heard that reading text on the high-res 15" can be rather straining on the eyes. I know that it would be best to go to a Apple Store and see for myself, but the closest one is 2 hours away.

Any feedback on the High Res 15" user experience?

Thanks!
Paul

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good day!
I'm on the verge of making the leap from Windows to Mac and I have a doubt.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the anti-glare high res screen, but I've heard that reading text on the high-res 15" can be rather straining on the eyes. I know that it would be best to go to a Apple Store and see for myself, but the closest one is 2 hours away.

Any feedback on the High Res 15" user experience?

Thanks!
Paul

We could try talking numbers regarding whether the 15" MacBook pro hi-res screen is "hard on the eyes" or not...but honestly it would be pointless. You don't get much more personal than a persons eyesight & how they perceive eye strain or not...we don't even know if you have any eye issues (you didn't say).

I think that if you're REALLY serious about purchasing a new MacBook Pro...and considering the investment of $$$...it would REALLY be worth your while to drive the 2 hours to your nearest Apple Store to see things in person. Since this would be a "buying trip"...you're certainly not going to go home empty-handed:)...and visiting the Apple Store can be a fun experience as well (especially if you have not done it before)!:)

One word of warning...call your Apple Store FIRST...to make sure they have what you want in stock (ideally both for viewing on the sales floor...AND for purchase)...if you want to go home with a computer. You certainly don't want to drive 4 hours round-trip for nothing!

You at least want them to have a 15" MacBook Pro with & without the hi-res display to see (on the sales floor)...even if they don't have one in stock for purchase. I'm going to warn you though...since the hi-res display on the 15" MBP is a special order...they may not have them in the store...this is why calling first is so important.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 8,1 (2.4/8/500/10.7.3)
While screen reflections have never bothered me much, some users report that the antiglare option itself reduces eye strain.

If you have any store near you that sells MacBooks and keeps them on display, you might try looking at a 17" model to give you some idea. Apparently the 1920x1200 resolution of its screen results in screen elements nearly the same size as those on the 1680x1050 15" model (I just plugged the numbers into a pixels per inch calculator, and found this to be true, with the 17" at ~133 and the 15" at ~128).

Another thing to consider is that many apps include a zoom option, though this may somewhat negate the advantage of using a higher resolution in the first place (I suppose objects on the screen would still be sharper, though).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The bottom line is you need to check out both in person. Some users have complained about the high res anti glare not being bright or colorful enough, while others commend it. See for yourself and then choose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.