• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone interested in the PSVita?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
This bit of kit looks like its gonna really stir things up in the smartphone/tablet market.

We are talking full fat PS3 quality games, on the go.

5inch OLED, front and back capacitive touchscreen

Accelerometers

3G model available

Front and back cameras (VGA, meh)

Legacy PSP emulator built in

Dual analogue sticks

No built in storage though...

I think this thing is a serious competitor to the iphone. Im seriously considering it - browsing on the go on this thing is driving me insane!

Plus, if youve ever tried a "serious" game on the iphone -you must admit touchscreen controls can be an absolute pain.

What do you guys reckon? iPad killer?

Reaction score
I do hope the Vita helps Sony and does well however, I don't know if I'll actually buy one when they first do come out. I bought my PSP on launch day and enjoyed it but now I just don't have much time for gaming since now I mainly focus on my music stuff. Don't get me wrong, I still play games just not as often as I used to.

As far as features on the Vita, it seems like Sony has got in gear this time around and the Vita is a serious portable gaming machine. I'd rather play games on it then an iPad or iPhone because it just feels better. Not just because of the dual sticks but because it's more traditional. If the Vita had actual phone service, then I'd say it could have the potiential to "kill" the iPhone, but I don't see that happening.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm interested if you're buying. :p

Two things - why does everything these days need a camera? Honestly, do people really need to have the ability to take pictures at every moment of the day? Most people must live a much more exciting life than I do. Second, nothing has to be an iPad killer. Everything can co-exist. That's not to mention that these are two very different devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I had it all paid off at my local GameStop along with Uncharted. I went in there to reserve and pay for the 16gb memory stick, when I saw that they actually had a model on display to play with. I think the screen image quality was either WAY over hyped, or the demos I was playing weren't of the same quality that will be available to buy. Either way, it REALLY ruined it for me. I had paid off the $390 for the Vita, memory, and game, and didn't feel like paying that much for what I saw. I canceled the reservation and bought a BlackBerry Tablet. I'll wait this out to see how it really is after a while.

Also, the cameras are used just to take pics, they are also used in games that support augmented reality. This was actually pretty cool, but they don't have any cool games that I like for it yet.

It would've been cool though, because I also bought the first gen PSP on release day.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Also, the cameras are used just to take pics, they are also used in games that support augmented reality. This was actually pretty cool, but they don't have any cool games that I like for it yet.
I didn't know that - good to know. I still think putting cameras in everything is ridiculous though, haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
As with any gaming console/device portable or otherwise it's going to come down to game availability/support/pricing.

It's something Sony botched with the original PSP.

I hope they succeed with it but I suspect that it's biggest enemy is Sony themselves.

Reaction score
I hope they succeed with it but I suspect that it's biggest enemy is Sony themselves.

Yup... Sony had 2 Billion dollar loss in the fall of 2011 so it'll be interesting to see if the Vita helps them make that back. In Japan it seems like it's a complete fail already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yup... Sony had 2 Billion dollar loss in the fall of 2011 so it'll be interesting to see if the Vita helps them make that back. In Japan it seems like it's a complete fail already.

You should quit reading Forbes. Sony sold out of all Japan released Vita during launch. Declining sales are to be expected as those people who don't buy right from the get-go are usually waiting for something good to be released, or a price drop. Also, it costs more too. So, "complete fail already?" I highly doubt it. The same exact thing happened to the 3DS when it got released...actually, it happens to just about everything that gets freshly released.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Second, nothing has to be an iPad killer. Everything can co-exist. That's not to mention that these are two very different devices.

Hmm - they are actually very similar if you think about it.

- Both large touch screen devices (obviously, the Vita is smaller, but 5 inches is still pretty big for a portable)

- Both 3g/Wifi models available

- Both are "games consoles" with in built social networking (PSN/Game Center)

- Both have accelerometers

- Both can also browse internet, read emails, have apps installed

- Both are media players

- Both have inbuilt cameras

the only thing I can think of that would put the iPad in a class of its own would be screen size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
I’m planning to buy one on the 22nd. Made $160 off of my used 4th iPod, and have done some overtime at work for the extra $100. Can’t wait!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.