Dieing MacBook ???!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Hello, today while I was at school, I noticed that my processor core usage had gone up to 100% on both cores and way staying there with no fluctuation. I had chrome up with one tab (html document) and text edit, all other apps were closed. I was in the middle of some work and didn't have time to restart so I put it to sleep and came back to it about an hour and 20minutes later and the cores were still just as active. Once I got home I restarted and the cores whent back to normal, although at time the processors seem to be stressed more than normal (only slightly). Is the the beginning of a logic board failure? The computer is a 2006 CoreDuo 2Ghz so replacing a logic board would make no sense. I wanted to save for a new 2012 MBP this summer but I'm not sure if this will last that long if it keeps acting up. Should I worry about it and try to prolong it's death or is it fine? Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That was probably some process in the background pegging the CPU. If that happens again, go to Utilities and open Activity monitor and go to the CPU tab. Check which process is using all that CPU and get back to us.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Alright, will do. Also, I was wondering on a semi related note if there was a way to fix my airport because it doesn't like to connect to unknown networks like my school's. Sometimes it will tell me there is a "network timeout" but i will take out my iPad or PC and they will connect no problem. Thanks again

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are those School networks using any kind of Encryption key like WEP, WPA, ETC or are they open?

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are those School networks using any kind of Encryption key like WEP, WPA, ETC or are they open?

No, they are unlocked, except one of the networks is locked in certain areas of the school, however in the places it's available I have troubles connecting when my other devices and friends' MacBooks still connect :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.