You Need to Restart Your Computer..........

Reaction score
Hello everyone - G4 MDD - 10.4

I've been receiving the 'You Need to Restart Your Computer hold down the power button' screen at start up for a couple of weeks now.

I have just replaced the Pram battery but this hasn't cured the problem which started with the computer needing to be unplugged to actually boot up and the date always reverting to 1/1/1970

I've reset the Pram and open firmware

Any advice much appreciated

OP
H
Reaction score
PHEW!

Finally fixed it?? Found another thread about the problem that suggested disconnecting any internal cards

Disconnected and re-seated EVERYTHING attached to the motherboard including the ATA cables, pressed the PMU reset button and double checked the new Pram battery with a meter - which appeared to activate it? Put everything back together and Bingo it booted properly first time

Hope this thread helps anyone else with the same problem.

Very odd the types of crash this caused though, sometimes it would boot and shutdown again, sometimes I'd get the 'You Need to Restart Your Computer..........' screen but could hear the disk still working and the Mac would boot up, sometimes I'd get the 'You Need to Restart Your Computer..........' screen it would still boot but no mouse, or no keyboard.

I definitely think this a Pram battery quirk though. Thank goodness I can put the hammer back in the tool box

Reaction score
I had a bad USB hub cause this issue. You should repair permissions from the start up disc from every so often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.