HD issues

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new on this forums, and not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I own MBP, bought new 2 years ago. I upgraded to Hitachi 500GB HD when ordered from Apple store (They shipped it to me with that HD). I just had my second HD failure during 2 years. First one was giving me I/O errors on my disk monitoring software, but this time there were no errors. I use BC with Win 7 as well, and the PC disk monitoring was OK as well.

Mac has been freezing intermittently for the last several months with spinning wheel, requiring reboot. I though it was RAM, and swapped the modules. But one day it froze and would not come back. I was able to power it up with the external back-up drive, realizing HD probably died.

I do have extended warranty, and they swapped it again for the same HDD.

Is that normal, having HDD failure each year? This is my first mac and I was going for 15 inch air if it indeed comes out later, but now I am concerned.

Is there anything wrong with 500Gb Hitachi? Can there be something wrong with the machine causing HD to fail? Is this normal now that most of HDD made in China/Taiwan?

I had old PCs with 10 year old drives, still flawless. I do use Tech tool pro 5, and it did not indicate any errors until everything was dead.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

Sophie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hard drives can fail at any time. I've had brand new hard drives right out of the box that were DOA (dead on arrival). You've just had a run of bad luck with two hard drives. Don't worry about it and as long as your machine is under warranty, Apple will replace the drive. Just make sure you keep making backups so as not to lose any data. It's very likely that any future MacBook Pro or MacBook Air you purchase will have a Solid State Drive (SSD) in it and will be more reliable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.