possible to swap all internals of one macbook to another?

Reaction score
hi, im new to the forum and im not sure if i have posted this in the right area! but here it goes....

i recently sat on my macbook and snapped my screen off :-/ (dont ask me how i managed that one!!)

the laptop is in perfect running condition and still displays information on the screen its just very dark and the screen has to be propped up as it has no support. i recently required another macbook in white which has internal componenet damage in the form of the logic board, hard drive etc. however the screen does work!

now my question, is it possible to swap all the internal components of the laptop over to the white shell? and if so how hard is the process?!!

thanks alot :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Is this a non-uni body white shell? If so and you have another non-uni body computer, than yes you could theoretically swap the parts over. If I remember correctly you will just need a philips head screw driver and maybe a flat head to take it apart. You would have to be really careful with avoiding static etc. but I think it would be possible. I would first watch some videos of people taking theirs apart though so you have an idea of what to expect.

OP
S
Reaction score
i believe it is the unibody? it is black however the model is A1181 and it is the 13.3".

ok i will do that then. is their anywhere that sells a macbook "shell" as such? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
i believe it is the unibody? it is black however the model is A1181 and it is the 13.3".

ok i will do that then. is their anywhere that sells a macbook "shell" as such? thanks

No, you can't just buy a shell unfortuately, but you can find a broken non unibody and buy that for cheap and swap the internals. It doesn't have to be the black one, a white screen will still fit on it, but you would have to like the black and white theme of it I guess haha.
hth

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.