Jumping Cursor - OSX Snow Leopard (2011)

Reaction score
My cursor jumps randomly, mainly in Open Office and web-based mail servers like Yahoo.

There are several threads, both here and on the web, about this subject. Some say to check 'Ignore Spurious Trackpad Input' but that no longer exists as an option; instead it's by default anyway, and I'm definitely not touching the trackpad!

I was hoping to escape this irritating problem by dumping my Windows machine but it appears to have accompanied me onto a Mac, albeit in a milder form. Thankfully it's not jumping around on this particular Mac forum but does anyone have a final resolution for the curse of the dreaded jumping cursor? Have any Lion users managed to escape? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If the problem followed you from one computer to another, and more to the point from one OS to a different OS, and you are using the same trackpad on each computer, then it stands to reason that the problem lays in the trackpad. Try a different trackpad or a mouse to confirm (with the existing one disconnected/powered off, obviously).

OP
T
Reaction score
If the problem followed you from one computer to another, and more to the point from one OS to a different OS, and you are using the same trackpad on each computer, then it stands to reason that the problem lays in the trackpad. Try a different trackpad or a mouse to confirm (with the existing one disconnected/powered off, obviously).

I think it is purely coincidental that the problem followed me on purchasing a Macbook Pro with OSX Snow Leopard after using a Toshiba Satellite running xp. The trackpad, mouse and operating system are completely different and separate on the two machines.

Jumping cursors are a perennial problem on both PCs and Macs and I have yet to find a solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.