• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

scaremongering at its best ! or worst

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They're in the business of selling Forensic software. Would you expect less?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
They're in the business of selling Forensic software. Would you expect less?

It is obviously stuff that ALL Windows users want to hear and then they try to rub "our" noses in it, by saying all those UN-TRUTHS, they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it surely ?.

`Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is about bucks. Nortons, Sophos etc all use this style of scaremongering to get business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The paper is actually a decent read - but there are gramatical errors - which detracts from the paper overall. Anyway it does a good job of defining what the various types of malware are - and why they are classified that way.

Yes there are no known current viruses for Mac - but Malware is out there. It has cropped up in discussions on this forum. Some of the stuff would be considered basic - but it doesn't hurt to have information out there. Although it is very hard to get a widespread infection - trojans are quite good at using human behavior.

I would say if you are not familiar with computer security - the paper is an OK starting point - but read it with a skeptical eye - as others have pointed out - these guys sell AV software - so it isn't as bad as they make it sound.

Some counterpoint reading
Daring Fireball Linked List: Ars Technica Investigates the State of Malware on the Mac
Daring Fireball Linked List: Mac Malware 'Explosion' Missing in Action

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'll admit to only skimming it - but it really just looks like an aggregation of a number of different articles that have been out over the past year - and some older ones. I didn't see anything new there - but admittedly - my ADD kicked in before I finished it.

C

chas_m

A *forensics* company isn't aiming at selling their product to you or me (least of all me!).

The target market for *forensic* mac software is law enforcement and practically nobody else. They routinely deal with the worst class of computer users, so their "marketing" may strike something of a different tone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.