Trying to buy a Mac but...

Reaction score
I was offered to purchase what they said is a Mac G5 "tower type". Said specs are 600GB hard drive, 4GB ram and dual core 3.33ghz, ATI video card. I can't find any consitencys with the specs that this is a power Mac G5? What do you guys think? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums Roadzombie. . . . .

As far as i can tell from the info you gave, the only thing that seems a little out of whack is the 3.33ghz part of it and the HD size.. Any G5 Tower the highest they went is 2.7ghz. Are you sure it wasn't 2.3ghz ?? The MacPro's and 2009 iMac's where the only Mac's to come out with a 3.33ghz Processor.
With the HD they could of Upgraded the HD to a 600GB, but none came out with 600GB.
The graphic card in them, there was a few to choose from but some did have ATI; ATI Radeon 9600, Radeon 9650, or Radeon X850 XT.

So yea all in all the Processor Speed is the one to be wary of.

HTH

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

As Tattooed says there are no 3.3GHz G5 Powermacs. Seems they do not know what they are talking about so suggest strongly giving this one a miss.

Further G5 machines are all PowerPC architecture. Their day has been and gone. Many new applications simply will not run of PowerPC machines. Suggest putting your hard earned towards an Intel machine, and at least a Core 2 Duo capable of running Lion, the current operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
I smell a "Hackintosh." Turn around and run the other way - fast!

Reaction score

As Tattooed says there are no 3.3GHz G5 Powermacs. Seems they do not know what they are talking about so suggest strongly hiving this one a miss.

Further G5 machines are all PowerPC architecture. Their day has been and gone. Many new applications simply will not run of PowerPC machines. Suggest putting your hard earned towards an Intel machine, and at least a Core 2 Duo capable of running Lion, the current operating system.

unless of course you like PowerPC, or don't have the money for an Intel Mac, or are fond of being different, or have no use for "new programs" or a variety of other things.

C

chas_m

unless of course you like PowerPC, or don't have the money for an Intel Mac, or are fond of being different, or have no use for "new programs" or a variety of other things.

At that point, why not just grow a beard, move to Pennsylvania and start churning butter? :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's nothing implicitly wrong with PPC hardware but purchasing it now gives you a machine that, at best, is a few years out of date. Why spend good money to buy something that's a few years old and non-upgradeable (from a software perspective)?

Reaction score
There's nothing implicitly wrong with PPC hardware but purchasing it now gives you a machine that, at best, is a few years out of date. Why spend good money to buy something that's a few years old and non-upgradeable (from a software perspective)?

for all the reasons I listed above..people must still like them because a look through ebay and Quoka shows they're not cheap by any means

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just because people charge good money doesn't make something better. If you'd like, I'd be happy to sell you my early 08 MB for $900. ;)

They're still good machine from a technical perspective but in terms of being able to use it for the future, you're limiting your options severely from the get go. For instance, the most recent version of OS X you can put on it is Leopard which, although fine, excludes you from using more and more software.

Reaction score
Just because people charge good money doesn't make something better. If you'd like, I'd be happy to sell you my early 08 MB for $900. ;)

They're still good machine from a technical perspective but in terms of being able to use it for the future, you're limiting your options severely from the get go. For instance, the most recent version of OS X you can put on it is Leopard which, although fine, excludes you from using more and more software.

All kidding aside..yes you're limiting yourself to Leopard and as more and more programs go Intel it'll be more difficult to find software. The open source community seems to be helping to keep the PowerPC up and functional though. I like my G5 it's my daily computer it'll stream Amazon HD, has iLife 08, Office 08, CS3 etc. The only thing that I prefer to do on the i5 is transcode movies.

It really isn't throwing money way if it does what you need/want it to do..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
for all the reasons I listed above..people must still like them because a look through ebay and Quoka shows they're not cheap by any means

1.8 to 2.0ghz dual-cpu Powermac G5's are selling for $150-$200 (in the US)...I would say that's pretty cheap!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All kidding aside..yes you're limiting yourself to Leopard and as more and more programs go Intel it'll be more difficult to find software.

Macintosh software has been going "Intel" for 5 years now. The point some folks are trying to make is...buying a G5 based computer isn't the best move...especially if it will be someones first Mac or only Mac computer.

Yes they can be affordable (see my earlier post)...but if someone needs a 10.5 Leopard install disk it's going to cost them $80-$100...and software for PPC based Mac's isn't very easy to find. Ram is expensive. So without software...a buyer of a PPC will be limited to internet surfing & e-mail (which isn't too bad).:)

The bottom line is pay:

- $150-$200 for a Powermac G5
- plus a Leopard install disk ($80-$100)
- extra ram (4gig around $75)
- and an unknown amount for hard to find software

...add everything up...and you have the $$$ to purchase a used early model Intel Mac-Mini, Intel iMac, or even a MacBook....which is much more "relevant" since they are Intel-based...and can run the latest Mac OS (if they have a core 2 duo cpu).

BELIEVE ME...we here at Mac-Forums have had this discussion 100's of times...nothing new here!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
1.8 to 2.0ghz dual-cpu Powermac G5's are selling for $150-$200 (in the US)...I would say that's pretty cheap!:)

- Nick

yea looks like 150 to 320 on the first page of an ebay search..but it's an '03-'04 computer..so I'd say thats kinda expensive..They are a bit more here (Germany)..The ones that really amaze me are the Quads..I like my PowerPC and all that but you can a franklin or two to the pice of a quad and get a MP and best of all lose the LCS..

Reaction score
Macintosh software has been going "Intel" for 5 years now. The point some folks are trying to make is...buying a G5 based computer isn't the best move...especially if it will be someones first Mac or only Mac computer.

Yes they can be affordable (see my earlier post)...but if someone needs a 10.5 Leopard install disk it's going to cost them $80-$100...and software for PPC based Mac's isn't very easy to find. Ram is expensive. So without software...a buyer of a PPC will be limited to internet surfing & e-mail (which isn't too bad).:)

The bottom line is pay:

- $150-$200 for a Powermac G5
- plus a Leopard install disk ($80-$100)
- extra ram (4gig around $75)
- and an unknown amount for hard to find software

...add everything up...and you have the $$$ to purchase a used early model Intel Mac-Mini, Intel iMac, or even a MacBook....which is much more "relevant" since they are Intel-based...and can run the latest Mac OS (if they have a core 2 duo cpu).

BELIEVE ME...we here at Mac-Forums have had this discussion 100's of times...nothing new here!;)

- Nick

I disagree..because most are going to have said 4gb come with an install disk and to get going, everything on Open Source Mac is universal.

**Edit** and we'll have a few hundred more, because it's more fun than the Lion/Snow Leopard debate which is stall all the rage 8 months later.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea looks like 150 to 320 on the first page of an ebay search..but it's an '03-'04 computer..so I'd say thats kinda expensive..They are a bit more here (Germany)..The ones that really amaze me are the Quads..I like my PowerPC and all that but you can a franklin or two to the pice of a quad and get a MP and best of all lose the LCS..

Yes...used Mac's do tend to be more pricey in some other countries. But I've seen lots of dual cpu Powermac G5's selling for $150-$200 on e-Bay here in the U.S....I even know of a couple people who got them for $100!:)

In my opinion...this is a pretty awesome price for what you get! Heck...check some e-Bay listings for Powermac G5 parts (power supply, the computer housing, airport card, etc.)...and many of those exceed $100 for a single part.

We usually suggest staying away from the Powermac G5 "quads"...they have water-cooling systems that tend to leak or get plugged up...which never leads to happy endings.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I disagree..because most are going to have said 4gb come with an install disk and to get going, everything on Open Source Mac is universal.
There's nothing unique about open source software that makes it universal - that would be the developers choice. Chromium and Firefox for example are Intel only.

Reaction score
That Old G5

As Tattooed says there are no 3.3GHz G5 Powermacs. Seems they do not know what they are talking about so suggest strongly giving this one a miss.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Well all that is true, but since I do a lot of graphics and used the late great G5 when it first appeared and a while after, I can tell you that some Pro models are "souped up" with a lot more inside than the standard ones most people used. So it is possible (depending on where this one originally started life at) that it does have some of the capability described. I also have a G3 running Jaguar, also a souped up graphics Pro machine, and no, it's not slower than molasses, but it doesn't run all the newest programs, and the G5 might not either.
Cheers.

Reaction score
There's nothing unique about open source software that makes it universal - that would be the developers choice. Chromium and Firefox for example are Intel only.

I understand that, they are still choosing universal..please don't read into the things I say I say exactly what I mean without further implications..

Chromium is intel only, but then there is tenfourfox which is PowerPC on version to like regular FF and will accept all FF extensions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.