Buying my first

Reaction score
Hi I'm a rising junior in high school and I finally saved up enough to make a change to mac. I would like to use this computer throughout high school and on to college. My question is should I get an iMac and Ipad (3 hopefully), which was my original choice, but now im thinking should i get a laptop instead cause ill be using it for college. Is a laptop essential? Should i get the desktop and ipad and then get a laptop when i get into college????

BTW This is my 1st post so im sorry if i did something wrong :[
Thanks in advance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Given the "fun" that is ahead of you...I would say that you would be best off with the portability of a laptop.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Also is 13" too small b/c i have a 15" pc right now????

Entirely up to you. A 13" will be smaller & lighter (a 15" will be larger, heavier, and more expensive). If you sometimes need a larger display...you could plug in an external monitor when working at a desk.

- Nick

Reaction score
Entirely up to you. A 13" will be smaller & lighter (a 15" will be larger, heavier, and more expensive). If you sometimes need a larger display...you could plug in an external monitor when working at a desk.

- Nick

I was looking to buy my first Mac recently. I narrowed it down to two choices, the 13" Macbook or a Mini (I chose the Mini in the end as I do a lot of photo processing and didn't really need the portability of a laptop, but I've since bought an old laptop as well).

Go for the 13" laptop, it's the most versatile option. more compact for carrying about, less expensive, and as said, when you want/need a bigger display just plug it into a separate monitor and use it as a 'desktop'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.