• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What are the REASONS why you made the SWITCH? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
in the early 200s...I was building my own PCs
Wow, no wonder your PCs weren't much cop if you were building them ~1800 years ago... :p

Reaction score
For me, it's not a matter of switching from anything. I got a Macbook Pro because I wanted one and liked the features and display and the general build quality. I was shopping for a laptop and was gravitating between an HP and Mac. The stunning display on the Macbook was what sold me. Also, the HP does not have as good a reputation for reliability. The Macbook is buit a tank and feels built to last. When paying this kind of money, you should expect it to.

I don't consider myself a PC or MAC person and really don't limit myself to brands when window shopping. I own both systems and will probably continue to do so. As far as windows vs OSX, both have their pros and cons. As far as manufacturer reputations, it's all over the board. There are some brands I would never buy from simply because of the perceived quality or longevitiy. Outside of that, if I see something I like and it meets my requirements, it doesn't matter what brand it is. I never got into the PC vs MAC wars. it is kind of riduculous, IMO.

I have onwed Ipods since they came out and an Ipad for a year. I have owned Android smartphones but will likely switch to the Iphone when the 4G comes out, if it has a bigger display--have got accustomed to the 4 inch display on the Thunderbolt, I will also probably upgrade the Ipad and hand off the currrent one to a relative-- if the new one has a retina display. An Imac might be in te future, too, when my current PC bites the dust. It all depends on what is out there at the time and what meets my needs the most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Wow, no wonder your PCs weren't much cop if you were building them ~1800 years ago... :p

Yeah, see I wuz building them PCs for a pretty loooong time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" (Late 2011), iMac 27" (Late 2011)
My first Apple purchase was a 64Gb iPod, in 2009, simply because I liked iTunes and the iPod Touch's interface and controls WAY better than the Zune software and the clumsy 10Gb Zune player with it's stupid interface and small screen (this was shortly before the Zune's touchscreen-equipped player).

Later in 2009, I bought an iPhone 3GS to replace my Giorgio Armani cell phone, because the touch-screen on the GA was extremely temperamental and was starting to annoy me. The trade-off was only the issue of size, as my GA was less than half the size of the iPhone. I quickly got over it though.

Last fall, I finally bought my first Mac computer (27" iMac) as a means of streamlining my media devices and home-computing. Although my devices were flawless with my Win7 PC, I made my final decision after reading about Apple's MacOS App Store. My Win7 PC still runs flawlessly, as it's meticulously maintained, but the Mac OS and user-interface made Win7 obsolete and clumsy.

This spring, I bought my 13" MacBook Pro and couldn't be happier for it's utility and ease of use, over my old WinPC. At work, I tend to get upset at the lack of multi-touch functionality whenever I sit at a WinPC with a touchpad, because I'm so spoiled by my Macs.

After years of being frustrated by Win functionality and inter-compatability issues, due to hardware and software not being fully developed for each other, and for the sake of now FINALLY having hardware and software that were developed specifically for each other, I wouldn't even think of going back to Win.

Reaction score
After years of being frustrated by Win functionality and inter-compatability issues, due to hardware and software not being fully developed for each other, and for the sake of now FINALLY having hardware and software that were developed specifically for each other, I wouldn't even think of going back to Win.
We can thank Steve Jobs for sticking to his principles on this fundamentally important advantage. It's the biggest relief for me too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '11 iMac 21.5", iPad 4 w/Retina Display 16GB, 13.3" MacBook Pro (Late '11) 500 GB HD, 2.4 GHz
Hi There, RandomArrictine again!

So, in a few more months, I'm going to be getting my Very first Macbook Pro. I'm kind of waiting for the next line of the Macbook Pros because I wouldn't want to waste money on a 2011 one if it'd mean waiting for the 2012 one in a couple of months. So, as you may have read the title, "What ARE the reasons why you switched" to Apple :)

Were you a fanboy all the way? Or, was there something about let's say, Windows that you didn't like? :))

I NEED YOUR THOUGHTS!!!

Well, at work I've used Windows based PCs since '91, and owned Windows based PCs since '97. My last computer was purchased in the winter of '07 and had Vista installed. I got fed up with the multiple updates that tie up so much time to install before using, as well as all of the viruses that infect them even when using the latest anti-virus software. I also hated the fact that Vista was so buggy. The smallest of things would cause the computer to hang or crash such as opening a file, ejcting a cd, etc. My cd tray door actually broke when I tried ejecting a cd once, and it wouldn't do anything so I "manually" tried to open it lol. The final straw happened a few months back when I started getting messages that certain applications had failed and right after that, my screen would flicker, and the entire tray along the bottom of the screen would disappear for about 15 minutes or so and then reappear. The older it got, the slower it was and the longer it took to power up, and set up my desktop for use, no matter how well it was serviced and taken care of. Also customer service with Windows PCs usually stink (in my experience). Before they ever even try to find out what's going on with your computer, they're asking about money which wouldn't be bad if they actually fixed what was wrong and the language barrier wasn't so bad.

Several months ago, I started researching Macbooks and found that I really like what they were capable of. I also stumbled upon this website and began reading the forums and gaining info and last week I took the plunge. I bought a 13" Macbook Pro and I've already transferred some family videos to DVD as well as some other things and I enjoy it. I must say they is a slight learning curve but I wouldn't change a thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
I haven't really made the "switch"... I still use my PC(a little) and I have to use a Windows machine at work also. I have just always loved the way Mac's have looked and wanted one. I have had my Macbook Pro for about a month now and couldn't be happier. Just the way this thing looks is wonderful, it runs so much better than any PC I have ever had. I wish I had done this a long time ago...

Reaction score
At first I made the switch because my last Windows box flew the coop. (Windows XP MCE)

Then after 7 came out, I sorta fell back into the Windows world.

Now that 8 is in Consumer Preview phase, I'm thinking of dual booting on the MacBook.

The only thing that would make me avoid Windows entirely is if MS did something to make me avoid it entirely - like pull off another "Vista" or "ME". Hopefully 8 isn't that. So far I'm actually enjoying the Start Screen. I just wish PC laptop makers had multitouch trackpads. I think the MacBook would be a perfect candidate for the BootCamp.

With that being said, I still will be faithful to the Mac. I'm looking forward to OS X 10.8. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
At first I made the switch because my last Windows box flew the coop. (Windows XP MCE)

Then after 7 came out, I sorta fell back into the Windows world.

Now that 8 is in Consumer Preview phase, I'm thinking of dual booting on the MacBook.

The only thing that would make me avoid Windows entirely is if MS did something to make me avoid it entirely - like pull off another "Vista" or "ME". Hopefully 8 isn't that. So far I'm actually enjoying the Start Screen. I just wish PC laptop makers had multitouch trackpads. I think the MacBook would be a perfect candidate for the BootCamp.

With that being said, I still will be faithful to the Mac. I'm looking forward to OS X 10.8. :Smirk:

I had the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on my Windows machine(dual boot) for all of 1.5 days.... HOT MESS is all I can say.... Just my opinion, but I hated it.....

Reaction score
I haven't tried Windows 8 yet but plan on just sticking with 7 on my PC. Windows 7 is actually a decent OS. Vista was Crap. I still prefer windows desktops but prefer Apple/Mac for my laptops and portable computing. I can deal with either OS, whether Mac or PC. I really have no preference and the OS is not a selling point or a negative for me on either machine. I think Mac is just the best laptop. The trackpad, display, and general useability factor is what you want in a portable. Windows based laptops are too much work. I still prefer windows on my desktop, however.

As far as iOS, I prefer it over Android, although I do have a Android HTC. I am waiting for a bigger display on the iPhone to make the swtich. Android is too clunky for my tastes. It gets the job done but it is just too loaded up. I really don't need all that on my portable devices. I like it plain and simple--one-touch kind of things. On the PC, however, customizeability is still the main reason I don't use OSX. Going through mutliple steps and menus and shortcut keys just to create a single file folder is one of the reasons I stick with Windows on the PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Well, here's an in-progress screen cap so far. :)
jfopus.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" i5 MBP (Late 2011)
I had built a very powerful gaming pc about 2 years ago, but I was no longer using it for gaming. I now spend all of my time working on Android stuff for my Galaxy Nexus. I had a dual boot setup, and basically used linux for everything. It was just a waste having such a clunky desktop, and I didn't want to bother with a dual boot laptop.

I decided a MBP was my best choice, because I could use if for my Android obsession (building from source, image editing, etc). Plus, OSX is a much more polished OS than linux. After only 2 days, I can honestly say this is the best computer I have ever owned.

Reaction score
I had the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on my Windows machine(dual boot) for all of 1.5 days.... HOT MESS is all I can say.... Just my opinion, but I hated it.....

For a while I had it virtualized on my Mac, then I fired up my PC and virtualized it there (more processing cores, less RAM than the Mac)...I don't say I hate it, but on the flip side, sticking a somewhat artsy interface on top of a desktop interface that hasn't changed in what, 15 years? It is a bit of a hot mess.

However, I do like the live tile design...I find that to be very different from iOS and Android. I'm curious as to how Windows on ARM will look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
To me Mac OS X is far more organized than Windows and generally easy to use. I have used 7 and currently have the developer preview of 8 and still hate the interface (tiles are nice but they need to get rid of desktop IMO). I also get less error messages and don't feel like I have to update right away to avoid the machine running slower. Also Mac hardware seems to outlast most PCs I have seen/owned.

Reaction score
I simply spent far too much time fixing Windows issues on the many machines in my home. My new Macbook Pro is the most stylish, well-built, fast and efficient machine I have ever owned.

I normally run Linux on my laptop because it is inherently faster and more reliable than Windows. Moving to Mac was easy as a result and the gains from Linux to Mac are impressive. Simple setup and simple to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
First of all, I never had a problem running Windows on my computers. And I used the heck out of them.

It came down to a time where I needed up replace my 4 year old laptop due to the fan going out. I was looking at the different offerings and settled on a new Windows machine that would let me play my games but, more importantly, do my video and photo editing without waiting hours for a video to render. $4800 was what I was going to spend on a laptop, and was ready to hit the submit button. On a whim, I looked at the Mac offerings in the 17" MBP line. $3600 for the fully beefed up version, $1200 less than what I was looking at on the Windows side. Oh, and I could run Windows 7 in Bootcamp so I could still use 2 pieces of software I didnt have the cash to buy a Mac license for, 1 of which I could not get for Mac. That is why I switched.

Since then, I have added a MacMini as my iTunes AirPlay Media Server. Having all Apple computers in the house has really allowed me to open up the floodgates on how I am watching TV/Movies and listening to Music. Between the Apple TV2's, the Mini, my iPad and an Airport Express (for the audio on my main stereo) I have been blasting away at cable.

It is amazing what a little bit of reading and thinking outside the box will get you. My Windows Media Server never really worked like I wanted it to, much less as easy as the Mini. Within an hour of turning on the Mini, running the updates and moving my iTunes Library, I was watching movies on my other TV from iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
'nuff sed.

When the final act of desperation, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, stops working...

541259_3104284161196_1086999809_32729231_1205595948_n.jpg

...you know it's time to throw-in the proverbial towel.

In fairness, this issue is not actually Windows's fault, it's due to the poorly-constructed hardware of my PC notebook already having half-cooked itself after less than 6 months. I'm keeping it until the end of this year at university, then selling it & going back to using my old desktop PC, saving some more money over summer, and buying a 2012 MacBook Pro + a copy of Windows & virtualisation software (for all my degree's PC-only apps) to go into the my second year with.

Reaction score
I don't hate Windows & my husband & I have built many a fine PC. What got me was the Macbook Air, I'm obsessed with mobile devices, slimmer, lighter, more power!

I kept checking out the MBA everytime I was in a store that carried them, my family decided to gift me with a 13 inch Air for Xmas & here I am, still happily enjoying my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I had always hated apple until 2007 when the 3rd gen nano came out. I fell in love with that and then I used my cousins 24 inch iMac. I then started an iPod and iPhone collection. I got my first Mac in 2008 and threw my pcs out the windows literally. I now have over 10 macs all of them working except for my iMac hard drive is dying after 5 years. I love OS X and will never go back to the windows world.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.