Problems connecting a wireless printer

Reaction score
We just moved and had to switch all our wireless configurations etc. We now have a Cable router, recognized by all our laptops (Mac and Windows) and by our wireless printer (a Canon PIXMA MP990).
The problem: when we try to print from any of the laptops, we get a "communication error" on the printer dialog box. Sometimes the problem is solved by switching the printer off and then on again, but last night the behavior became even more erratic: would print (very slowly) the last page of a two-pages document, but not the first, or wouldn't print at all (all the same saying-printing, printing, printing).
I wonder if it is a network problem or a wrong setting?
Thanks in advance for your help

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have that very same printer and had similar issues when I first set it up. Had to repeat the procedure three or four times before I got it working right. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact fix for this problem. Here are a couple of things I did find helpful.

1. Sometimes I find it necessary to connect the Mac directly to the printer and install the driver as though I am going to print via USB. I know this is not supposed to be necessary but it seems to help at times.

2. Now you can install the rest of the software and follow the procedure to set up wireless printing.

3. When completing the setup it is sometimes easier for the printer to find things if you let your network broadcast its network name rather than hiding it. If you prefer to run the network with the name hidden you can change this back once things are working properly.

Reaction score
How is the printer added to the system? I have had an issue not too long ago with Bonjour. Kept on getting the same communication error. I ended up removing it again and then re-adding through it's IP address. That worked no problem...

OP
G
Reaction score
In the other (previous) setting, the printer was hardwired to the router and the laptops were communicating with it wirelessly. In the new, current setting all machines are on the wireless network, printer included. But I did not try to completely remove it and start from scratch (installation disk).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might try these directions Setup Secrets for Canon Printers | Ted Landau's User Friendly View | The Mac Observer. I know they they are for 10.6 but I think you will see what's going on. Hi is focussing om wired ethernet but the wireless process is the same if I remember correctly. Setup Secrets for Canon Printers | Ted Landau's User Friendly View | The Mac Observer

Make sure you know the name of the wireless network, security type (WEP, WPA, WPA2 etc), and password. As I mentioned the Canon utilities seem to prefer the network name is visible at least till things are connected.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My experience with Canon wireless printers has been whenever you make changes to the system in any way, (network, router, etc.) the printer has to be removed and installed again. To give you an example.... I changed my ISP router (Verizon) but used the same encryption, SSID, pass phrase etc, but my Canon wireless printer refused to communicate. The solution was to completely remove it, run the Canon network software again, let it discover the printer, and then it finally worked. A royal pain.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good advice there chscag. Also when the printer looses power for any length of time (power outage for example) you will probably need to renter the network name, security type, and password. You don't usually have to reinstall the driver though.

Reaction score
Canon printer Communications error

I too, had been having the "communications error" with MAC and a Canon MG6250. After much frustration, I discovered that the culprit is the wireless router configuration.

With my router, by default, its DHCP server function automatically allocates an IP address to each device that connects to the router. When a device disconnects, its "lease" on that IP address expires and it may not necessarily get the same IP address next time it connects, especially if other devices are also being connected and disconnected.

I changed the settings to give the printer a permanent lease of an IP address and the problem was solved.

You will need to consult the user manual on how to make the setting change for your particular make and model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.