Silverlight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Lion OS 10.7.2
So when I click on the Flip4Mac highlight in Chas's site it directs me to a Microsoft page that says to click to download Silverlight. Is that what I want to download?

C

chas_m

Flip4Mac WMV Player for Mac is in fact licensed by Microsoft under the name Microsoft Components for QuickTime (or something like that) and will by default install a Silverlight plug-in unless you customise the install and tell it not to do that.

I don't see any harm from having the Silverlight install on the off-chance (very off-chance) you run across a web site that relies on it, but I don't like backdoor software so I refuse to install it. YMMV.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure but I think Silverlight also gets installed when installing MS Office 2011. I just checked and yes it does get installed under "Additional Tools" as a sub folder to the MS Office main folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Neither can you install the Sky Go App without installing Silverlight. I held off installing Sky Go for 12 months because of bad reports against Silverlight.

I recently relented and the App crashes regularly when watching movies.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Netflix also depends on Silverlight. Ultimately, you may never encounter it (Flash is much more pervasive) but it can't hurt to have.

Reaction score
^ Silverlight crashes rather often (which is to say at least once per day) on Netflix. But, then again, my wife and I use Netflix heavily as it's our primary television service, so probably we're exposed to problems more frequently.

Z

OP
BarryHanna
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Lion OS 10.7.2
Thanks

Thanks to all for the information. I downloaded Flip4Mac, did not install Silverlight and all is well.

Reaction score
Sorry guys, but I'm a little confused. Why would flip4mac be a replacement for Silverlight? Am I correct in assuming that Silverlight, then, is an implementation of WMV?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Flip4Mac and Silverlight are not the same although both are by Microsoft.

(Click on the links above.)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sorry guys, but I'm a little confused. Why would flip4mac be a replacement for Silverlight? Am I correct in assuming that Silverlight, then, is an implementation of WMV?
They're not the same. Flip4Mac adds WMV support to QuickTime while Silverlight is Microsoft's rich content platform that performs similar functions to Flash (think of it as Microsoft's Flash).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.