Mac Pro 2007 - Power Issues

Reaction score
Can someone please let me know if the following is a simple fix or is gonna cost me the earth??

My Mac Pro sometimes refuses to power up. The front button gives no response - sometimes for a couple of days, sometimes for a couple of hours.

If the Mac goes to SLEEP then upon waking it makes a really loud fan noise and despite being powered up the monitor will stay black and it's unresponsive. I've set it to never sleep as a result.

In the last few days it has been 'freezing' randomly. Once on screen saver (the images that usually animate and dissolve just froze) or while using text edit. Both time I had to pull power from the tower. Ouch.

Any clues/tips/help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try resetting the SMC by turning off, turn off at mains and remove plug for a minute to two and power backup up. If this does not do the trick, best advised to put her in for a quote. Apple dealer down under charges $300-400 for a new power supply fitted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.