• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Home theater system?

Reaction score
Hey guys my family is planning on replacing our old bose system for the new
Lifestyle® V35 home entertainment system Lifestyle V-class Home Entertainment System
But I was wondering are there any other CHEAPER home entertainment system? I feel like Bose is ok but a lot of people have said Bose isn't the best etc. So I was wondering do you have any links or choices that you could suggest?
If this bose is worth it then I'll go ahead and get it but if not then I'll gladly get another.
Let me know what you guys think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Depends really. For that much money, I would rather buy something else, even though the Bose sounds really good in their display studio. I have a 1000 watt Sony 6.1 theater system in my basement theater room, which I paid ~700 after tax, and couldn't imagine paying more than 5 times as much for the Bose. My theater room is also pretty large, sound level and quality change with the size of the room, as well as insolation. These are things that you will probably have to experience yourself since audio is almost an acquired taste. There's a home theater forum that has great help and guides for people looking for the best system. I'll send you a pm with the site.

If you seriously don't have a problem with the $$, go would go with whatever you first became interested in(the Bose V-class), but I would look at everything else before spending that much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
I have owned many high end Audio Systems and Home Entertainment Systems that have cost $10,000 just for the Audio, but I came to grips with three facts recently:
a) At age 57 my ears do not hear the frequency range that I once did and I do not find that I am able to discern some of the differences between mid-fi and high end any longer. That is a fact that we will all have to deal with as we mature.
b) the equipment was large and heavy to move around and placement of it was difficult when you made changes to your room or furnishings. The Amplifier alone was darn near 40 lbs.
c) I was the only person in our house that could operate this high end Home Entertainment System and my wife refused to use it. So were we getting value from this equipment? - I think not.

I have recently purchased the Bose V35 Home Entertainment System and yes it is expensive but should ask yourself what is the most important issue in your buying decision:
Value, Quality of Sound, Expandability, Easy of Use.

Bose does not hit the mark on the first three but it does wonderfully on the last item - Easy of Use.
i) Ease of setup - Wires are Colour Coded and everything goes into place very easily.
ii) the ADAPTiQ Audio Calibration System - Most people do not know where and how to place their components to get maximum balance and enjoyment especially when dealing with a 5 Speaker System. Bose makes it easy by letting you place the components where you want and then running the ADAPTiQ System which balances the Bass, Treble and Volumes automatically.
iii) most importantly the UNIFY Integrated Remote Control is so easy to use. A complete Universal Remote Control that is easy to setup and easy use because it uses a menu system on the TV screen instead of trying to read a little small LCD Screen on your Universal Remote or trying to use 4 different manufacturer remotes.

We find that we are using our system more (including my wife) and we are enjoy using it due to its ease of use features.

I thought I would pass on my experience and suggest to you that the decision is really about what is important to you in your purchase. If using the system often and finding it very easy for your family to use is important then you definetly should consider the Bose System.

DavidH

PS
My Apple TV2 works great with it and we enjoy our system even more having it connected

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm very happy with my new Panasonic DVD player/receiver. Same brand as my TV and I only need one remote to use it and my TV now. I set it up so it comes on when I turn the TV on and turns off when I turn the TV off. Very inexpensive - especially compared to Bose or other big names. The sound is great for movies and music. 4 surround speakers, one middle speaker above the TV and a subwoofer on the floor. I can't get it loud enough to distort the sound because I'd be deaf before it got to that point.

I guess it all depends on your true needs but this set up works great for me.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
It's tough to know what you're looking for just by reading your first post. You initially ask about a cheaper system and then show concern because some have said BOSE is not the best. They are definitely not the best - not by a large margin - but what you can spend for the best in that particular arena is mind boggling. I think DavidHH has provided some good advice.

I can tell you that when I was doing a similar comparison (although Bose was never in the picture) - geez...8 years ago? Wow. Anyway - I chose to purchase a quality receiver and more importantly quality speakers. I do think you can do better for that money - but better isn't always easier. Chances are - you'll be perfectly content with the Bose system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hey guys my family is planning on replacing our old bose system for the new
Lifestyle® V35 home entertainment system Lifestyle V-class Home Entertainment System
But I was wondering are there any other CHEAPER home entertainment system? I feel like Bose is ok but a lot of people have said Bose isn't the best etc. So I was wondering do you have any links or choices that you could suggest?
If this bose is worth it then I'll go ahead and get it but if not then I'll gladly get another.
Let me know what you guys think

Well, I would say that if you've had Bose for a long time there shouldn't be a problem. It's a 'lifestyle' system. They enjoyed great success in the 70's and 80's,( certainly in bars and clubs their systems were 'de rigeur') but stuck to their guns with an 'out of the box' solution.
Similar things about sound quality are said about Bang & Olufsen but boy is that stuff stylish

BeoSound 5 Encore - Bang & Olufsen

I like my separates but would I like a lifestyle system..yes indeed;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Bose always gets hit on their price/performance - and it is true - they are a luxury brand and charge more for their stuff. A lot of people say you can get better quality for the money - which is also true. But setup and use are also issues as DavidHH has pointed out - and Bose does a good job at both.

That being said - I got a samsung 3d blu-ray all in one - MSRP is $800 USD. 7.1 channel - plus it has a simple setup where you plug in a microphone and put it where you will primarily be sitting - it will run a calibration for you to adjust the speaker levels. Super easy to setup and sounds good. (Probably can find various versions on sale on the internet)
7.1 Channel Blu-ray 3D Home Theater System | Samsung HT-D6730W
This was for a secondary system. One of the reasons I went with Samsung is because they had a rear remote system - but on the 7.1 system - it was only rear remote. The surround sound speakers were still wired to the front - stupid as all rears should have been remote.

My primary system is a Harmon Kardon receiver with Energy Speakers and a subwoofer. But I had to do the setup with a sound meter and me sitting there.
Energy Speakers - Home Theater Systems, Home Audio Speakers, Speaker Systems, Stereo Speakers, Tower Speakers, Surround Sound Speakers, Subwoofers, Bookshelf Speakers, Center Speakers
Harman Kardon - Designed to Entertain

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.