how do i discover the rpm of an external hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
hi all, a strange question you might think, perhaps not.

I purchased an External Hard drive, the manufacturers web site states it is 7,200rpm, BUT on the label on the box when it arrived, it clearly stated it was a 5,400rpm, the company who supplied it don't really know what it actually is.

Is there anything i can do to discover what rpm this drive actually runs at, it looks as if trying to open the case, to read the label on the actually drive, will do more harm than good !!.

tim

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
With the External Drive plugged in, can you go into Disk Utility to get information about it. Specifically the model number which you can type into Google to get all the information you need..

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
With the External Drive plugged in, can you go into Disk Utility to get information about it. Specifically the model number which you can type into Google to get all the information you need..

Hey Pal, why on earth did i not think about doing that, brill !!!.

PS. I tried that, it didn't reveal enough information in Disk Utility, so i tried from a different angle, so to speak, i booted into Windows 7 via Boot Camp, and found a little program there called SIW which gave me the details i was trying to find. LOL

tim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.