• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP X ram advice

Reaction score
I just got a 27" iMac i5 with 4GB of ram. I want to upgrade my ram to make FCP X run more efficiently. What would you recommend?

Just buy one 2X4 and add it to my current 2X2 to make it 12? Or buy two 2X4 to make it 16?
Also, which company would you recommend?

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb ram 1tb HDD
Hello

When I get FCPX this summer, having researched everything extensively (including via this forum), I shall be getting 2x4 gb to take my system to 12gb RAM.

I shall be ordering from OWC - many on here have done so and are happy with the experience.

My mate ordered his from Crucial - no problems at all, and FCPX runs quickly on his two year old iMac (12gb RAM).

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks! I ordered this:

Description: 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM Upgrade for a Apple iMac (21.5 and 27-inch, Mid 2011) System
Line total: $91.98

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb ram 1tb HDD
Sure beats the £300 Apple would have charged and no invalidating of Apple Care either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.