MacBook Pro microphone jack experience

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Hello,

I will be buying an external microphone to use with Skype with more than one person at the table. What I ran into in the past, was that some microphones don't work with the MacBook Pro jack, can anyone share their experience and/or technical knowledge about the audio input jack? I know it's some sort of hybrid and not just a classical 3.5 jack, but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Thank you for any input.
Best regards.

The computers that will be used with this are late 2008 MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and 2011 Air with Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
They are hybrid sockets in that they are combined analogue and optical digital sockets but that's not really the issue. It's that your Macbooks have a Line/Audio In and a Line/Audio Out. Not a microphone in jack.

To use an external mic you'll need either:
- a usb mic
- a line level mic
- a mic connected to a pre-amp - connected to your Mac

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I would bet the problem was with the type of mic involved. The MacBook Pro's input is actually typwhat is called a line level input. To work properly it needs a higher signal than some mics generate. OK for connecting line level devices like tape decks etc. Some mics work because they have built in pre amps to boost the signal.

You could get a pre amp and connect a mic to that input. A better option might be to use a USB based mic. I have used some of the headset ones with Skype and the USB ones should work. My desktop mic is at work at the moment or I would test that as well.

Nice summary Mr. Plow. Are you sure there isn't snow you should be clearing somewhere? lol

I don't know what your budget is but there are some conference mics designed for this type of recording. Cheapest ones I have seen though are a few hundred dollars and go up from there. I did find a description of how to use multiple usb mics for podcasting and the process should work with Skype http://thedudesays.blogspot.com/2007/01/podcasting-with-two-usb-mics-in.html

Haven't tried this personally but it looks like it might do the trick if you already have the mics http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=2526

OP
scathe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Ok thank you guys for the insightful info!

Reaction score
They are hybrid sockets in that they are combined analogue and optical digital sockets but that's not really the issue. It's that your Macbooks have a Line/Audio In and a Line/Audio Out. Not a microphone in jack.

To use an external mic you'll need either:
- a usb mic
- a line level mic
- a mic connected to a pre-amp - connected to your Mac
The Line /Audio In should enable me to convert cassette tapes with a three-ring
3.5mm stereo jack to RCA plugs connected to Tape Out on my stereo. I have contacted Mac Support-they said the audio socket is not hybrid. I am certain they are wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have contacted Mac Support-they said the audio socket is not hybrid. I am certain they are wrong.

I guess you realize that the previous thread was from eight years ago... :Smirk:

You might want to start a new thread especially considering the changes in some Mac computers and microphone inputs...

Patrick
=====

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.