I want to downgrade from iPhoto 11 to iPhoto 09

Reaction score
I recently bought a new iMac and decided that I do not like iPhoto '11 and prefer the old '09 version. I've tried to install iLife 09 and when I run iPhoto 09, it says that it cannot run the old version and that I must run the newer one.

Is there a way around this??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Do you have a TM backup with a iPhoto 09 Library ?? If not all is not lost.

I did find this that could be of some use.

Backup your current iPhoto ’11 installation, including the library
Reinstall iPhoto ’09 from the original installation disc
Launch iPhoto ’09
Locate your current iPhoto ’11 library in the ~/Pictures/ folder
Right-click or control-click the iPhoto ’11 library and select “Show Package Contents”
Drag the “Masters” folder into the iPhoto ’09 window to restore your photos. This will allow you to retain events, but will delete keepsakes, albums and other metadata.

Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
hi tattoedmac, i didn't lose anything. i'm not worried about losing photos. My problem is that I can't launch iPhoto 09 with my new iMac

OP
T
Reaction score
oh nevermind, i got it!! thank you! i just forgot to modify my ~/Pictures folder

Reaction score
Hey I am trying to do same.

I upgraded my early 2009 imac to Mavericks and stupidly upgraded the iPhoto also (not sure if I did this purposely or it happened when I did the OS). I am not a big fan of iPhoto 9.5.1. I want my old iPhoto back.

In reading the above guidance from Tattooed Mac I have found numerous time machine backups I have and went into one the month before I upgraded the OS to Mavericks. I right clicked on iPhoto and did 'burn to disk". Will I be able to use this to reinstall my old version or do I have to use the bundled disk I got when I got my computer from Apple?

Do I uninstall iPhoto 9.5.1 before installing the old version? Also, is 9.5.1 considered iPhoto '11 or '09?

Also you mention backing up my iPhoto Library so I don't lose any pics. Is this not done when a time machine backup is performed? Cause if it is, I'm ok cause as I said I have lots. My computer backs up daily.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.