Airplay sporadic with AppleTV

Reaction score
ATV sees internet and streams Netflix OK (so far - had AppleTV for a few days).
Trying to use airplay, to stream iTunes music, through AppleTV (optical connection to amp) sometimes doesn't work without resetting everything. Once going, it's OK.
I am using the remote app on iPhone.
I have:
iMac 2007 2.8 running SL 10.6.8
New Airport Extreme router
iTunes is latest
All set up wireless.

Also, should the AppleTV show up in Airport utility? Mine doesn't.

Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Trying to use airplay, to stream iTunes music, through AppleTV (optical connection to amp) sometimes doesn't work without resetting everything. Once going, it's OK.

Airplay should work but I'd suggest using Home Sharing to access your iTunes library. That way you have full control via the AppleTV remote/menus.

Also, should the AppleTV show up in Airport utility? Mine doesn't.

No it shouldn't only Airport Extreme, Airport Express and Time Capsule devices will show.

As for the Airplay issues I'd suggest these a wireless signal issues. What sort of wireless network is your AppleTV connected to? 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 'G' or 'N'

I'd suggest using the 5ghz N wifi from your Extreme.

I'd also run iStumbler on your Imac and check that there are no nearby networks causing channel interference.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks Mrplow,
Already using Home Sharing.
And also 5Ghz N network.

I have noticed other threads where people are having similar issues.
I am considering taking the AppleTV back and getting Roku, which will be a real shame. The intended Apple integration was what I was looking for, but if they can't get it to function with a set up like mine i.e. all Apple products, then they must have an inherent problem with the software/hardware.
Neil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I thought you were using Airplay from iTunes not Home Sharing? Do you have the same issues with with Home Sharing?

I have two AppleTV2s and know several others with them. The only issues I have ever encountered hasn't been the AppleTV itself but the network it's running on. Personally, I'd try and debug the network before swapping out the ATV. The issue may still exist with the Roku.

I'm not entirely clear how the problem your having actually manifests itself but out of interest, does it happen when the AppleTV is connected to the Extreme by Cable?

OP
N
Reaction score
Perhaps I am a little confused between Airplay and Home Sharing. Let me try to explain my situation, although I would like to try and understand the whole process at some point.

I had:
iMac with iTunes library (music only).
Express connected to hifi.
Remote app for iphone.
All done with wireless

This worked 99% of the time. i.e. I could play the iTunes library content on my hifi.

I have now:
iMac with iTunes library (music and video.).
AppleTV connected with HDMI to TV and with optical cable to hifi.
Remote app for iphone
All done with wireless

I want to be able to either:
Listen to itunes music via hifi, as I did previously. TV not on.
Watch video from iTunes library on TV with audio via hifi.
Watch video from Netflix or similar on TV with audio via hifi.

I have Home Sharing activated on iTunes and AppleTV.

As I have physically had to switch on Home Sharing, I don't remember having to switch on Airplay.
This is where I may be confused. Do I now need Airplay? If not, do I need to switch it off? If so, how?

I have been reading a lot about all this on the web, but it still isn't clear in my head.
Is there an idiots guide on how Home Sharing and Airplay function, either together or individually.

Big breath........... sorry for long post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The best way I can think to explain the difference between AirPlay and HomeSharing is this:

AirPlay pushes content

Home Sharing pulls content

So when you were playing music from your Mac's iTunes library to the Express you were using AirPlay to push music to the express.
Same is true if you use the Remote app to control your Mac's iTunes library - its using AirPlay to push music/video to the AppleTV.
If you use the remote app to control the apple tv it pulls music/video from the iTunes library - that's HomeSharing.
If you use the AppleTV physical remote with the tv on any content you access from the iTunes library is pulled by HomeSharing.

Once you've logged into your iTunes library on the AppleTV (after you've turned HomeSharing on the iTunes library) home sharing is setup on AppleTV. AirPlay comes switched on by default and doesn't need turning off. Home Sharing can and should co-exist with AirPlay.
Hope my ramblings make some kind of sense.

So, to debug, I'd suggest trying to play the same content by pushing it via AirPlay and pulling it via HomeSharing then try this with the appletv connected first wirelessly and then wired.

If the problem goes away when wired then you need to start looking to the wifi for issues, channel interference, other devices hogging bandwidth.
Suggest switching channels, bands etc.

Hope some of that helps, apologies for any typos, dashing out the door to work!

OP
N
Reaction score
I might have solved my issue?
On the iphone remote app, there are 2 icons. One for AppleTV and one for my iTunes music library.
The issue I was getting was if I select either icon, I wasn't hearing anything through my amp.
What I believe is happening, is that the iTunes icon will stream to my Express, but I don't have it connected at the moment, as I don't have anything to connect it to!
Also, just selecting the AppleTV icon wasn't enough to wake up the AppleTV. What I found worked, was to select the AppleTV icon, then select control from the bottom right on the iphone app, then select menu from the bottom of the app. This appeared to wake the Apple TV and everything worked.
I will try to repeat this scenario at some time to prove it wasn't a fluke.
This sequence is probably what I was looking for as an "idiots guide".
Thanks for taking an interest mrplow. It helps to bounce ideas around.
Neil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.