which is more reliable imac or mac mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
which is more reliable mac mini or imac. I was thinking of picking up a mac mini. then i could change the ram or hard drive. if the hard drive dies in the imac im stuck. but its hard because the mini can run 800-1000 and I can get an imac for 1000 refurbished from apple. so its almost more worth it to grab the imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Do you have a monitor for the Mac Mini?

I am looking at a Mac Mini right now as a media server. I have a 32" HDTV and want to have the Mini hooked up to it for my entire media library and streaming. I dont need the monitor, so the iMac isnt in my view finders right now.

There will probably be a refresh on the Mini's this year. I am holding right now to see what is coming this spring. I have the cash set aside for it already.

BTW, you can replace the HD in the iMac too... I cant answer on the reliability, it depends on what you want to do with the machine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree with Brad.

On the reliability, I have a late 2007 iMac and Intel mac Mini. Both work well after years of use. And also agree, you can change the hard drive in the iMacs. Biggest thing is being careful and using suction cups to lift off the Glass Screen.

OP
safarisurfer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
ok thanks guys. I have the money for one or the other and its burning a hole in my pocket. I will wait a bit longer then if something new is coming.

Reaction score
I've been running my Mini 24/7/365 now for over three years as a colocated web server. It has done very well in that capacity. That said, I also have two iMac that run almost constantly, and one of them is 4 years old. It all depends on what I'm using it for. For space and as an HTPC, I use a 2009 Mini. I've been very satisfied with both.
mathews_thumbsup.gif

OP
safarisurfer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
thanks all. someone else told me because the imacs had desktop components crammed into such a small space it was unreliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Environment also matters. If you are in a dusty area, or there is not a lot of ventilation where you want to have the computer, even the best made devices will fail.

And the more and more I look at that Mac Mini for a media server, the better I like it. Considering I have the 32" HD tv already and do not need a monitor. If I needed a TV for that part, I would get the 27" iMac. All depends on need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.