Uploading 8GB a day!!! HELP

Reaction score
Hi

I run 4 macs at home, 2 for office use and 2 for the kids

something is pulling up to 8GB a day through our broadband connection. UPLOADING!

I live in NZ, so we don't have unlimited usage (its costing a fortune)

Have replaced modem and changed wireless password

Have turned off the modem at night and that stops it, so coming from one of my machines (have ran Iantivirus on all)

Can anyone help? PLEASE :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Perhaps the problem is your AV software. It may be downloading Windows virus definitions on an ongoing basis. Whilst there are no Mac OS X viruses, you might like to try ClamXAV which is freeware. Disable your AV and see what happens.

http://www.clamxav.com/download.php

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
May I suggest installing the Rubbernet trial on all Macs? Rubbernet - Your Mac's new best friend
You need to keep the application open all day to catch the traffic but it'll work and show you what is doing what.

To uninstall the demon, use the uninstall button in the preferences. Then you can delete the app like any other.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Id check to make sure your kids aren't torrenting anything before doing anything else. That will make uploads shoot up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Rob. Check all the machines and see. Kids often do a lot of tormenting and try to hide it from their parents.

If there is for sure no Torrent activity going on then try McYukons suggestion.

Also are their any PC's on the network? Any Gaming systems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
uploading

if this is uploading, its a **** of a lot, could only be gaming I would think. If it is downloading, then kids must be on you tube round the clock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I agree that torrenting is the most likely cause here too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.