Is it okay to share make os cd?

Reaction score
My classmate lost his CD for the Mac OS and he is going to borrow my cd for reformatting.
Are there going to be any trouble? especially in the serial?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
No, sorry. It's not "ok". Against EULA. He needs to purchase his own install disc.

Not to mention if the disc you have came with your Mac, it is machine specific and wouldn't work anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No, sorry. It's not "ok". Against EULA. He needs to purchase his own install disc.
Are you sure about that? If its the same version of OSX that his friend legally has a licence for I doubt the EULA prohibits the lending of the disc in the same way that an Apple store or authorised repairer could use an appropriate disc providing the licence was valid. Happy to be corrected, perhaps you could post a link?

Not to mention if the disc you have came with your Mac, it is machine specific and wouldn't work anyways.

a good point providing we aren't talking about retail discs and assuming they have different Macs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First thing, not sure about the EULA in this case, but better to be safe than sorry.

Second thing is the two machines have to be basically the same model for it to work on it. We see people all the time putting a OSX DVD in another machine pretty close to theirs and get told no way!

It's better to get a $29 Snow Leopard DVD and that way you will not have any issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
This is what I was going off of. It is my understanding that copies of OS X are not for "sharing", according to these following excerpts from OS X 10.6 and 10.7 EULAs...

If it's Lion: OS X 10.7 EULA - Page 2, section "I".

I. Other Use Restrictions. The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you agree not to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. Unless otherwise permitted by the terms of this License: (i) only one user may use the Apple Software at a time, and (ii) you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be run or used by multiple computers at the same time. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software

If it's Snow Leopard: OS X 10.6 - Page 2, section "3".

3. Transfer. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software. Subject to the restrictions set forth below, you may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software (in its original form as provided by Apple) to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts (excluding Apple Boot ROM code and firmware), original media, printed materials and this License; (b) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (c) the party receiving the Apple Software reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License. You may not rent, lease, lend, redistribute, sublicense or transfer any Apple Software that has been modified or replaced under Section 2H above. All components of the Apple Software are provided as part of a bundle and may not be separated from the bundle and distributed as standalone applications. Apple Software provided with a particular Apple-branded hardware product may not run on other models of Apple-branded hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
This section of the Lion EULA, I believe, tends to cause some confusion

B. License from Mac App Store. If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (Apple - Legal - iTunes) (“Usage Rules”), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:
(i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control;

This is VALID, if you purchased from the APP store. In either case, the key words are "that you own or control", and from what I've read in this thread.. this is completely inapplicable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I guess it's down to interpretation. Like dtravis7 says, better safe than sorry.

But I can't help think from reading the excerpts and the surrounding EULA text that it's all to prevent illegal distribution of the software. I.e. the recipient not having paid for a licence. But that's not the case here. The Mac will have come with a genuine licence.
In this instance each Mac has it's own, genuine licence and the loaned disc will simply be used to re-install the software that was duly licenced for use on the Mac.
It comes down to intent. But then copyright law was and is a minefield.

I'd suggest getting in touch with Apple and paying a small fee to have the media replaced.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'd suggest getting in touch with Apple and paying a small fee to have the media replaced.

That would work also and another way to get around the issue and be sure things will work.

To the OP, What OS came with that Mac?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is a much better option. Not only will you avoid dealing with any EULA ambiguities but your friend will then also have a copy of the media for the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.