Apple, please note: Lion Finder window display problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
I'm running 10.7.3 on my MB Pro. I have all the latest-and-greatest updates. However, this quirk only started to appear with Lion and has appeared in all versions to date. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has this problem, which I highly doubt. Why I ask is because it hasn't been addressed yet, so I wonder if Apple listens to user feedback any more.

Here it is: Whichever Finder window that is active used to pop to the front (or "on top of") of all other windows, but often I find that this is no longer the case.

Example #1: If I have two windows open and I'm dragging a file from one to another, the dialog box that asks if I want to copy the file often stays buried beneath one/both other windows.

Example #2: If I go to drag a file from one window to another window hidden/buried under the first one, it used to be that if I held the file to be dragged over the buried window that it would become "active" and thus move to the front, but now this is often not the case.

Example #3: If I go to cycle through open windows using Cmd ` in order to find a buried window, often the buried window will not move to the top.

In all these instances, even using Expose to show open windows will not bring the desired window to the front. I was hoping that this bug would be noticed in 10.7.0 and be corrected by now. So either it's a bug or maybe I've got something set up wrong. Somebody enlighten me!

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
Well, over 600 views of this post so far and nobody else telling me they have this same problem. That sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Those views are most likely bots and web crawlers indexing the site. Chill

If you want apple to read something, post it on their official forums.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've had this issue as well (quite often in fact). There's not much I can say with regards to a fix but if this happens, you can always grab the file, activate Mission Control and then drag it to the window. It's not a fix but it will have to do for now.

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Not all the views are from M-F members, a lot of them are coming in from search engines or other robots and are looking for answers..

Having said that, I don't believe I've run into the issues you are running into on Lion, but will play with it a bit tonight and see what I get for results..

You have to imagine that if it was a serious enough flaw in Lion, Apple would either taken steps to fix it or inform people on how to avoid it..

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have to imagine that if it was a serious enough flaw in Lion, Apple would either taken steps to fix it or inform people on how to avoid it..
I hope that enough do, because it's a very annoying quirk, unless I'm somehow doing something wrong or have a preference set up incorrectly. That's why I'm wondering if I'm indeed the only person out there who has it/has noticed it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm running 10.7.3 on my MB Pro. I have all the latest-and-greatest updates. However, this quirk only started to appear with Lion and has appeared in all versions to date. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has this problem, which I highly doubt. Why I ask is because it hasn't been addressed yet, so I wonder if Apple listens to user feedback any more.

Here it is: Whichever Finder window that is active used to pop to the front (or "on top of") of all other windows, but often I find that this is no longer the case.

Example #1: If I have two windows open and I'm dragging a file from one to another, the dialog box that asks if I want to copy the file often stays buried beneath one/both other windows.

I tried to copy a file between two Finder window by holding down the Option key and didn't get any sort of a dialog box.

Example #2: If I go to drag a file from one window to another window hidden/buried under the first one, it used to be that if I held the file to be dragged over the buried window that it would become "active" and thus move to the front, but now this is often not the case.

I opened two Finder windows and partially covered one with another, I then grabbed a file in the active (front) Finder window and dragged it to the Finder window in the back that is partially covered, and that window now began fully visible, if I then just dragged the file back to the original window that is now in the back, it came to the front and so on and so forth.

Example #3: If I go to cycle through open windows using Cmd ` in order to find a buried window, often the buried window will not move to the top.
This works for me on both Finder windows and a couple of Chrome windows I tried it with. I usually don't have multiple windows for a single application running, but what little testing I did seemed to indicate and this works fine..
In all these instances, even using Expose to show open windows will not bring the desired window to the front. I was hoping that this bug would be noticed in 10.7.0 and be corrected by now. So either it's a bug or maybe I've got something set up wrong. Somebody enlighten me!

Finally, I use Expose to bring windows in the back to the front and that worked as expected too..

So basically everything from your list works fine for me. I just recently updated to Lion 10.7.3 using the normal updater..

Now Apple did remove that updater due to bugs that people hand complained about and put the combo updater in place, it might not be a totally bad idea for you to try that update..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I opened two Finder windows and partially covered one with another, I then grabbed a file in the active (front) Finder window and dragged it to the Finder window in the back that is partially covered, and that window now began fully visible, if I then just dragged the file back to the original window that is now in the back, it came to the front and so on and so forth.
I get that 95% of the time but once in a while, the Finder window I'm trying to drag content to refuses to get focus. I'd be interested to know if this would happen for you at some point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.